What are the items I need for a kitten?

We'll be adopting a kitty tomorrow, further expanding our crazy house. :D
What are some essentials that we'll need?
No brainers are bed, toys, scratching post, food, litter box, etc.

Are there some brands that you suggest? Some tips? Advice?

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 1:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pets

• the cat will sleep wherever it wants and play with hair tyes and balls of paper so don't spend too much money there. a cardboard box and blanket works fine as a bed. you need kitten food, food and water dishes and a litter box. make sure the box is low enough that a kitten can get in
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• purina kitten chow than move on to the indoor formula if its an indoor cat. if not the adult form, i love purina and my cat never has hairballs or anything like that. you'll want a hair brush for the cat, especially if its a dark haired or longer haired cat. for the first few weeks use newspaper in the liter box not liter, don't remember the reasoning besides it getting stuck in their paws and hurting them. get the liter powder you can put in the liter its an arm and hammer thing, and it really helps block the smell. for your liter box, you want one with a lid so when they cover the mess it doesn't fly out, and a paw mat on the front to catch some of the liter off her feet. and i only have 1 cat but i use the multi cat liter, it takes a little longer to be full and the smell isn't as noticeable, i use tidy cats the one with the crystals.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I've always used Purina Kitten Chow, never had any problems with it. Get a low sided litter box for now, unti the kitten gets a little bit bigger. For toys, buy little balls that can be batted around. They love that. Just an old blanket works perfect for a bed.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• litter boxes stink so bad! so i suggest you get a good litter for it!!! a scratching post!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Toys- or you could use rolled up socks! My doofus cat Sassy will actually get in my sock bin and 'steal' my socks! She also loves balled up baby/toddler socks!
    of course litter, poop scooper, and a litter box, food, dishes for food/water.
    I would wait on getting a cat bed-- I bought one for my cats and they never used it! They prefered sleeping on my bed, on the chair, on the baby changing table, and in my closet!
    You may want to get one of those carpeted 'kitty condos'-- my cats have one and they love to sleep on it. I put mine in front of the window and they sit on it and birdie watch.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Catnip.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It's a little more expensive, but make sure to get clumping cat litter. It makes things sooo much easier to clean up. If you don't have the money to buy one of the carpeted kitty condos, I bought this plastic and cloth one from walmart for 17 bucks and it has lasted more than a year ( I think it was meant for kittens but all of my cats are over 13 lbs and it's still in pretty good condition). And ditto about the cat bed. I bought one for our kittens a couple of years ago and ended up throwing it out within two months because the only thing they ever did with it was pee on it so out the door it went. And if you get one of those water bowls that has a water jug on top of it and you only have to fill it about once a week, make sure that it's heavy enough that the cat can't knock it over. We stopped using that too because we had to keep mopping up water every couple of days.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Lots of toys! Cats tend to "missplace" their toys: Under the stove/couch/fridge/washer/drier! Cat nip! Hairball remedy, if the cat is long haired (and a brush so you can keep matts out of the hair). Lint roller (because cat shed terribly!)

Anonymous