MY 2 YEAR OLD BOY DOESN'T WANT TO TALK

MY SON IS TAKING A LONG TIME TO TALK WELL THATS WHAT I THINK...IT TOOK HIM 9 MONTHS TO CRAWL AND MORE THEN A YEAR TO WALK WHAT IM I DOING WRONG ?

leeahsgerasmom

Asked by leeahsgerasmom at 1:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The crawling and walking ages sound normal (many kids don't crawl at all and walking average is 12 months). Talk to your child's pediatrician about it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• um, probably nothing, many children don't crawl till around 9 months and walking between the ages of 12-18 months is considered normal. If your son has a vocabulary of at least 40-50 words, he's right where he's suppose to be, even if he chooses not to talk very often. Just encourage him to use his words by not responding to points and whining if you know he knows the word. Example, he knows "more". don't give him more of anything unless he says the word. No more juice, food, toys, etc unless he says the word. If however, he does not have a vocabulary of at least 40 words, talk to your pediatrician about getting a speech evaluation. Core vocabulary does not mean he needs to speak in sentences, it means he knows 40-50 isolated words. They don't have to be grammatically correct either. If he says "doggies" and it means dog, thats ok its considered a vocab word.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• well you can call your local head start program and have him evaluated for free to make sure its not a developmental delay. if it is they will assign a speech therapist to come to the house however often they feel is needed and cost will depend on insurance coverage and household income.
    if you don't think its a developmental problem, our speech therapist in the begining had us have our dd say the first sound of a word if she wanted something (unless it was needed food or drink, then it just turns into a struggle over something your child needs) so if she wanted a cookie, she had to make the "k" sound to get it, then when she mastered that & did it on her own we added more to it. took about 5 months of this to get her to automatically ask w/o being prompted to say the words. get a puzzle w/the ABC's and as you are doing it, point out the letter and the sound it makes. flash cards w/pictures (they make them for toddlers) CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• and just sit with him when he's having a quiet moment and go through the flash cards, ask him to do the same thing, say the word if he can, if not part of the word. my daughter started speech at 26 months w/about 20 words, she knew what everything was, you could ask her to point to something and she'd point it out, but she didn't say more than 20 words. she is now 3 1/2 and says words like procrastinate and all kinds of other things! her vocabulary is way beyond 200 words now. she is still in speech to work on the sounds b/c she is hard to understand still at times, but otherwise shes doing great.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• First, does your son have ear infections or fluid in his ears frequently? If he has fluid in his ears often, he is missing much of the speech that is spoken to him or if he hears any of your speech it is probably distorted or sounds like you are talking underwater. In this case, the distorted speech models he hears causes him to produce speech that is full of sound errors or is delayed in the number of words he can use. Once you know he is hearing fine, start having him use words or at least attempt to say a word or part of a word. Do not except pointing, grunting, crying and do not let him always get items for himself instead of asking you. When he attempts to talk, you expand on his attempts. Ex. if he says "ba" for ball and reaches for it, you say, "You want the ball? Ok, here is your ball." This gives him an example of what to say and also names the object he wants correctly.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• thanks for the answer they are really helpful...i might take him tomorrow to the doctors ..i really think he needs speechtherapist ...he really doesnt say nothing besides mama, dad , car ,ball he really just points at everything
    Thanks
    leeahsgerasmom

Answer by leeahsgerasmom at 3:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree with LovetoTeach. My youngest sister was a bit speech deleyed because of fluid build-up in her ears and had to get tubes put it. Now, at 4 yrs old, she never shuts up! lol. But once she got the tubes, after a few weeks she started talking more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Kids develop at different paces. You most likely aren't doing anything wrong you just have a "late bloomer". My son didn't crawl until 2 days before his first birthday and didn't walk until 16 1/2 months. He wasn't talking at 18 months. I had him evaluated by Early Intervention and he started speech therapy. In 6 months he's done great and is quickly catching up. I would definitely talk to his doctor to check ears and get an opinion. A 2 yr old should have between 100 and 200 words and should be starting to create two word phrases.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• he's fine. My dr told me my dd would talk when she was ready and she did and she was older than your son. They grow and develop at their own pace. My grandson had a problem and I could tell he wasn't able to make sounds correctly. Turned out he couldn't hear! The dr's took care of his hearing problem and now he won't shut up. He's only talking "baby" talk at 25 months but he won't shut up now!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Head Start is a preschool program, they won't do anything.

Call your local Early Intervention. You don't have to go through the doctor. They will evaluate him and if necessary, recommend you have his hearing checked. This is at no cost to you.

He should be able to say about 50 words and be starting to use 2-3 word phrases. My youngest didn't say his first word until 23 months and after 1 month of speech therapy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2009