I want to homeschool my 4 year old but everyone i know is talking bad about it!

Do you think i should do it or not? Im really wanting to but every one we know talks bad about it and says she wont have a social life! How do i get past it and make them understand?? Also how do i keep my confidence up when they tell me all this i start felling bad then start thinking maybe i should put her in school..???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They don't need to understand anything. The important thing is to do what you think is best for your family. There are other ways to make sure your child will develop social skills. Join a play group or do field trips where your child can meet other children her age.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No one needs to understand and you needn't justify anything. What you DO need to do is be honest with yourself about whether you have the discipline to do it. Me, I don't so I wouldn't consider it.

There are plenty of homeschool groups out there...check them out.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Join Happy Homeschoolers here and ask your questions of homeschooling mammas. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We're homeschooling our daughter right now, and it's a ton of fun. She gets pleeennnty of socialization ... IMO, they dont need to be stuck inside a building with 25 other kids for 7 hrs a day to get 'socialized'. There are a few nice homeschooling groups on here.. Why not check them out? :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'd say just let it roll off your back, and really check into it. Just tell them, "You can't bash it until you've tried it!"
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I strongly suggest brushing up on your basic English grammar before you decide to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Hello,

Yes, you should definitely have the privilege of teaching your child their "firsts"....it is a LOT of fun! Start with ordering A Beka Books' complete Basic Phonics' flashcards...they are so much fun and see if they still have a little set for the kids...smaller sizes than Mother's teaching cards. A Beka has the only complete phonics' "rules" that I knew of from years ago...other curriculum tend to mix spelling rules in with it...very confusing. I ended up tutoring girls because they had not been given thorough phonics' training.

Your first goal at your child's age four is the Alphabet, Numbers 1-10 and introducing Phonics, so they can quickly learn how to read. Phonics "rules" are combinations of sounds...not sentences with rules like we usually think. You do NOT need to enroll them in kindergarten until age 5...A Beka has Kg-5 and Kg-6....ages 5 or 6, depending upon how ready you think your child seems to be.
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Well, others are more then welcome to their own opinion, but you have the responibility to rais your child the way you feel its best. Homeschooling gives children such a wide range of experiances that public school just cannot offer. Socolization, is far to focused on these days. Kids spend more time in school socializing then they spend actually learning anything. Homeschooled kids have more time to engage in activities, and if you can find a homeschooling group, you will find pently of friends for you kids to play with.

And for everyone that feels the need to tell you that you are not educated enough, brush them off. One great benifit of homschooling is that you can get preplanned curriculums and relearn everything with your kids while you help them learn.

(and yes, I know, I have several spelling errors in my reply, I could care less, I have 3 sick kids and a sick dog, I havn't slept in 3 days.... don't care)
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You really need to have your mind completely set on this for it to work. Find homeschooling mamas to talk to about it and build up your confidence. I homeschooled until I started school, and the fact is, if there had been any doubt in my mind as to the benefits and WHY I was doing it, I would have stopped long before I did.

P.S. I stopped because my money for school was about to run out of time for me to use it. I actually sat in the bookstore today debating whether going to school was worth me NOT homeschooling.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When people talk about socialization consider this... a group of 5 year olds in a class with other 5 year olds with 1-2 adult teachers... is that really how life is - NO, when peolple get out of school, they need to know how to deal in an environment and workplace that has people that are younger and older than them.. how is going to school with people your own age for 12 years preparing you to deal with "real life". I plan on homeschooling my son and the fact that he gets to socialize and interact on the playground with kids of different ages and gets to do field trips where he is dealing with postal workers, bakers, firemen, policemen, grocery clerks, etc teaches him way beyond his years as opposed to his peers that have limited access to some of those activities. IMO it's the best way to go!! I agree, join a support group in your area.

Claudia~
    Mom, Wife & Entreprenuer
    www.HelpUstayHome.com
    WAHU_Claudia

Answer by WAHU_Claudia at 8:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2009