Falling asleep

My daughter will be a year next week. She is definately a mama's girl and that's OK with me as I love her dearly. But some of the clingyness is new to me. Her sister never was that way. She slept on her own all night, at 8 weeks old.

My baby has to be rocked to sleep still or held. Is this normal at all? When we place her in the bed after our nightly routine, she tries to climb out. I tried to place her in the bed with us to co sleep until she can fall asleep on her own, and she won't lie down, even if she's dead tired. The car thing worked when she was smaller. But now, it has no effect. She'll whine and jump up and down until she's held most nights and I can't stand to hear that cry..

I don't believe in letting babies "cry it out" as I think they cry for a reason. But I am at a loss for what to try next to get her to fall asleep on her own. Or is that unrealistic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it's normal. And Dr. Jay Gordon has great advice fro getting baby to sleep on her own. Find it at drjaygordon.com. Also check otu "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizaneth Pantley.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• mine was like that and the only way to do it is to let them cry it out. I know it's really tough to do, but very worth it. There are gentle ways to let your baby cry it out without feeling like you are mistreating them. I was against it until I was at a loss about what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't believe in cry it out either, I would recommend 'The No Cry Sleep Solution' also, I just got it for my 9 month old. From what I know and have read, it is perfectly normal for them to need help falling asleep for a while, if you don't mind it or enjoy it (I do) then I wouldn't worry about it, she will grow out of it on her own eventually.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2009