How soon after getting induced can you get an epidural?

Can you get it right after getting hooked up to the pitocin drip...or having the doctor rupture your membranes? For the moms that have been induced...how soon after getting to the hospital did you get pain meds?

Bella05

Asked by Bella05 at 2:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They broke my water and started pitocen around 9 am for me, and I had an epidural around 11 am. I really think it depends on how quickly you are progressing.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• they gave me sideatech (sp?) and I held off for as long as I could cause I wanted a natural labor I then got my epi at 8cm dilated lol. When I went into natural labor with my daughter they made me take the epi at 4 cm dilated when i didn't even want an epi (long story) good thing i did though cause she ended up being c-sec
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my hospital said when i got to 4 cm but my dr gave it to me right away so i couldstay comfy
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I wanted a natural labor too, but when the pitocin caused steady contractions quickly and heavily, I opted for the epidural. It's your call to take it, when you're feeling discomfort and it works very quickly!
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 2:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My doctor allows you to get the epidural any time you want it. With 2 out of 3 of my inductions, I got the epidural as soon as they turned on the pit. You need to ask your doc.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 3:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• they told me i had to be dialated to at least a four before they gave me the epidural. but im not 100
    % on that.. i dilated slow though. talk to your doctor about it!
    jannaboo

Answer by jannaboo at 4:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I started on pitocin at about 7:30 AM. I *think* I was getting the epidural around 10:30. I had about an hour of contractions that were getting worse by the minute, so I wanted to get it before they got really bad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• They waited until I was 6 cm dilated
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2009