• In the Spotlight:

Preemie problems

Hi, i really hope someone can help me.

I have an 11 week old preemie and he was in the NICU for 7 weeks. He was on the bottle for about the last 3 weeks he was in the hospital and I was unable to breastfeed him directly because of his small size and I was taking medicine that didn't allow me to. Now when I try to put him on the breast he doesn't really latch on and gets really frustrated and starts crying and refuses to take anything but the bottle. What do I do?! I don't want to pump for the whole time he gets breastmilk, and my milk supply is going down rapidly andI don't know how to speed it up again. It's so frustrating and I feel like a failure for not trying hard enough, but I feel like I'm our of options. Can anyone help me? Please?

It would be so appreciated! Thank you all so much!

KimBebop

Asked by KimBebop at 2:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• bottles are okay just get him eating!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It might be best to formula feed him. sometimes circumstances work against you. If you really want to continue to try breastfeeding, talk to a doctor or lactition (sp?) and see if there is anythig you can do.

Keep doing breast milk as much as you can and supplement what you have to with formula until you talk to someone. The most important thing is that he gets nutrition and stays healthy, so you have to do what you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Make breastfeeding his first option whenever it's his time for feed.Then also if he hesitates to latch on you,just keep him hungry for a time being and offer your breast.He might take your breastmilk then as he won't have any other option to gratify his hunger but to latch on you.Do atleast try and let us know.ATB!
    momsaranx

Answer by momsaranx at 3:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would talk to either lactation to help you or talk to your pediatrician about maybe seeing a speech therapist (speech therapy help with eating and they are really good with dealing with pre-term infants)
    He's probably used to the feel of the bottle nipple and you might need to use a nipple shield or he might like the instant gratification the bottle gives and somethign like a SNS might be helpful to start with.... so I would for sure get in touch with someone to help you
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2009