DS is 3 1/2 he will be 4 in Sept

In Feb we put him into pre-school. Since then he has been sick 7 times(this makes 8), and not just little colds. Last month he got so sick that he developed a small murmur. He could hardly breathe and had to have a nebulizer. We took him out of school and he got so much better. Monday he went back to school and today he is sicker than hell again. He just woke up and his fever is 103. He was always very healthy and not sick until he started school.

DH and are torn on weather he should keep going to school. If they were just tiny sniffles it wouldn'tbe a big deal, but this is serious almost being hospitalized things.

I talked to his teacher today who said oh yeah so and so is always sick. I was like arn't they not supposed to go when they are sick...

Would you keep taking your child, or would you stop, or switch schools. He loves going and is learning alot. We just arn't sure what we should do.

marchbaby86

Asked by marchbaby86 at 2:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Has he even been in a day care setting prior to the preschool? A lot of times when children are put into a new environment with a lot of others they get sick frequently until they build their immunities up more. It is definitely frustrating and it's difficult to see them not feeling well also, but they need to get some of the illnesses out of the way before starting school IMO.
    As for the other kids being there when they are ill...that is my ultimate pet peeve...but it will never stop. I know that children cannot miss a day for every sniffle they have but sometime parents are so clueless as to whether or not they should keep their child home...and yes, I work so I know that sometimes calling in is unpleasant, but such is the life of a parent. If a child is sick they should not be in school, out running errands with you, at the movie theater, in a restaurant.....
    (sorry, felt great to vent tho!!!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• A lot of people have told me this same thing, that it is normal for them to get sick when they first start pre-school. But he is getting REALLY sick. He was never in a day care setting before, but is always around other kids(cousins). My dad always watched him and my nephews. I guess it is just scary seeing him like this so often. His doctor told us to take him out for awhile and see if he got better, which he did. Then litterally the next day he goes back he gets sick again.

marchbaby86

Answer by marchbaby86 at 2:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Maybe he has immunity problems. I would take him out of preschool and homeschool him. You can find activities for him to socialize in. His health is so important and it seems like he could be hospitalized or worse if he continues this cycle. Also maybe switch preschools and see if that helps. This is hard I know I hope everything works out.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• He's only 3. Why is he in preschool already?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Talk to your Pedi, perhaps he can take some chewable vitamins to help boost his immume system. Or change schools if they are slack with there policy of sending sick kids home as they are supposed to.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think I'd pull him out and let him get a little bigger, a little stronger. During that time, I'd search out activities for him to do with other kids - little sports classes, little art classes, even the play area at a local mall - places where he will be exposed to all sorts of germs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Hi, I took him to his doctor today because he got very sick over night. She gave him prednisone, pulmicort, and singular. She doesn't think he has asthma, she thinks it a viral infection. She is going to see him in 2 weeks, and if he isn't better she is going to send him to a specialist. She said it is up to me about pulling him out of school. I am going to call and tell them I think he should be out for awhile. His current treatment is going to last a minimum of 3 months, so after that I will start looking into other schools with stricker sick policies.

He is excelling in education, which is why he is already in preschool. Because of our work schedual home preschool may not work. I was thinking of looking into a at home sitter who can do school with him.
    marchbaby86

Answer by marchbaby86 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009