Is it okay to feed my 6 month old soda crackers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No! Wheat is an allergy trigger food.
    Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• what do you think?
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Not sure. That's why I posted the question. I recently took my daughter to her 6 month check up. One of the handouts given said that it's okay to give a cracker to in order to help baby learn to feed herself. I gave baby a soda cracker. She seemed okay and appeared to enjoy it. Later I remembered seeing baby cracker products (e.g., Baby Mum-Mum). I don't want to keep giving her soda crackers if it's not advisable. Soda crackers or Baby Mum-mum crackers, which is best to give baby?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• well, I personally don't think its the best food to start out with. I bought these wonderful mesh baggie things where I put in some fruits or veggies. They get a change to chew and do whatever without worrying about choking, plus they get to experience new tastes and textures. Crackers don't have really much nutritional value at all, and not much taste either. Thats just my preference though.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm sorry I thought you ment soda and crackers duh.
    I give my baby arrowtooth (I think that's what there called) cookies couple times a week he is teething so it helps.
    sorry once again I just misread your question
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No problem. You actually helped me to better clarify my question. Appreciate your response.
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 3:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• That's a good question. My daughter had her six month check up yesterday.

Have you thought about Gerber puffs? They melt in the mouth and come in like three different flavors. They're meant to help kids learn to rake stuff towards them and pick it up to eat. Later, when they develop the pincer grasp, it helps them practice that as well.

I personally haven't bought any for my daughter yet, but we probably will at the store today :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Sure. My kids still like them for a snack!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I started with puffs...I was so nervous, I use to break them apart. Gerber makes whole grain cheese doodles. When my DD's teeth came in they were great for learning to chew.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• NO NO NO NO NO NO.......first foods should be avacodoas, sweet potatoes, applesauce...i guess t would be too much to tell you that get organic if you can....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2009