Crying in the car

My 2 year old has decided thay the car is the place to do her crying, whining, screaming, and verbal misbehaving. HELP!!! I can handle it and deal with it appropriately anywhere else, but in the car I just can't deal!!! What do I do?????

Turtle207

Asked by Turtle207 at 3:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• turn up the music a bit(not too loud of course) and try to ignore her rants. or sing along loudly to the music. once she realizes she cant get a rise out of you, she'll stop. maybe. lol. every child is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have found that my son does the same thing but it's because he hates his carseat (he used to love it) he does not like being confined and will do all he can to try and get out of his car seat. Not sure if your daughter is the same way or not so I do not know if I am any help
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 3:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My dd is 19 months and does that too! I start by telling her to tell me what she sees outside! If that doesn't work, I ignore her (HARD TO DO IN A CAR!!!) but she eventually stops or goes to sleep. I've tried toys and that doesn't work, she tried throwing them at me once...... now she throws them to the side and screams louder.Every child is different and it's a hard one to judge.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree with the ignoring, but I also use what my kids call a "busy bag" this is a special bag that only comes out for doctor appointments, my son's therapies and car rides....it contains special books, crayons, toys, etc that they only see at these places...the bag does NOT get played with in the house, park, etc and I change its contents up every couple weeks. Then the toys are "extra special" and tend to keep their attention. My kids are older...8 and 5...but I have used this for years!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 8:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• carseat isn't comfortable? the windows are not totally up or down tight which might put pressure on her ears? there may be something in the car that hurts her breathing? (my mom used to smoke and it hurt me to be closed up in the car and couldn't breathe). Is the music turned up too loud in the back seat? Maybe she doesn't like your music? lol There are many things

Answer by admckenzie at 9:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i bought childrens music that i play,get her a mirror.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• LOL....i dont mean to laugh girlfriend but I so know the feeling....
    I just bring toys snacks, sing songs, Kyla was the WORST in the car. To this day I so dont know how I didnt get in a wreck cuz she tweaked so much!!
    Good luck and tell T to be good...haha
    my2girlskns

Answer by my2girlskns at 5:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009