please help!!!!!!!!!!!

I watch a five year old boy while his mother works third shift. He is spoiled to the core. he gets to do whatever he wants. and screams all day. When it comes time for bed he cries and screams and cries. He only wants to sleep with his mom or dad. I try to teach him that he is a big boy and should sleep by himself in his room, and should go to bed at a decent time.. His parents let him stay up til 12 or 1 or whenever he feels like going to bed. I am 5 months pregnant and need rest also. I have my child in bed at 9:30 at the latest. But now is is kept up by the little boy. when I say anything to his mother or father they get defensive. He will be starting school soon and i think he should start going to bed early to get in the habit. i know its not my place to tell someone how to raise their child, but if i am going to watch him than he should be made to listen to me,,, Right?? Any advice please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• are you able to afford not watching the kid until he can learn to listen? Make sure the parents know that it is disrupting your sons sleep as well and you won't tolerate it in your own home
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 4:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• talk to his parents and tell them that you feel as though you need more sleep, ecpecially since you are pregnant and with out the right amount of sleep you feel as though u may not be alert enough to be watching other children who you feel you cant control. maybe this aproach will help them to seee that your not just trying to critict their parenting
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• sorry i forgot to add that i watch him at their house. I stay there during the week. its my sisters children. and i wake up with the kids so she can sleep since she works so late.. she says i dont have to wake up with them but she is ill if they wake her up at 7am, so instead i just get up with them. and i feel like ahe will take offense if i say anything to her. and she will say she will just get someone else to do it or quit her second job,,, i need this job. thanks for the advice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If it's your nephew, why aren't you talking to your sister? You were raised in the same house weren't you? Raised with the same morals and standards? No child comes to my house and acts up because if you are under my roof, you are under our rules. PERIOD! I don't care if the parents are here or not.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Have a talk with the five year old. Explain your house, your way. It's different but works in your home. When he is there, he is expected tol do it your family's way so you all get along well. Be very matter of fact and be specific. Go through the whole routine as soon as he is dropped off. Show him the routine as you go along and have him do it. Do not take no for an answer. Sure, he'll fuss but he's got some bad habits to break it might take a week. Keep repeating what you expect in a steady tone. What are his favorite things to do, eat, watch? When he does the things expected, he may enjoy the things he likes to do. You can give him a treat if he follows through at bedtime but don't tell him ahead of time. If he can stay up for the day, get him up 15-20 minutes earlier each morning until he is on your schedule or try 10 for your child, 11 for him, one hour quiet time with a solid bedtime routine.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• since it's your sister, i would sit down w/ her and let her know what he's been doing. if she gets defensive again, just let her know that you just wanted to bring it to her attention. also, let her know that his behavior has been rubbing off on her child and that he/she has a set bedtime but now hasn't been going to bed until her son goes to bed. and that you feel it's wrong to discipline your child for something that her child is also doing but can't discipline. (sorry that was so long winded)
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2009