please help!!!!

I watch a five year old little boy for his mother while she works third shift. He is spoiled so bad. He is allowed to do whatever he wants,and go to bed when he wants. when i try to get him in bed at 9:30 or 10 he screams and cries at the top of his lungs that he "aint going to bed" and them he cries to sleep with his mother or father, which he has done all his life. I try to explain that he is a big boy, and i will even let him sleep in his room with the tv on.. but he stomps off and cries some more. I have a six year old little girl who is usually in bed by 9 everynight, but now she cant sleep because of his temper tanturms. His parents let him stay up until 12:30 or 1 or whenever he feels like going to sleep. I'm not trying to tell them how to raise their child, but if i am watching him all night he should be made to listen to me, right?? i dont know what to do. i have never had this problem before, advice please!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I feel you...I don't know what to tell you...my nephew is the same way...he does have a set bedtime, but beyond that he is spoiled rotten...he screams and they give in, whatever it is he wants. But he knows that that crap won't fly with me. He doesn't even try, my SIL looks at him with me and has often asked "How do you get him to listen to you so well?" And I tell her I accept nothing less. He knows better than to try or he'll end up sitting in a corner. So I guess my suggestion would be...be consistent...law down the law and don't back down from it...it WILL get WORSE before it gets better...but it WILL get better! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You need to talk to the parents about it, it's not something he's used to so it will take a while. Try giving him a book to look at in bed, maybe if you can get him to lay down quietly he will fall asleep, other then that if he is disrupting your house that much it might be time for mom to find another babysitter.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i watch him at his house. i have tried the book, i tried singing to him . i let them play outside so they will be good and tired., i fix them a nice supper . no caffeene after five. he is also my nephew. and i have talked to the parents.. they say make him listen to you. but we dont care if he stays up late.... i am worried about him getting enough rest and getting in a routine before school starts.. maybe i care to much???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• These parents need to find another sitter if your child is being affected from him then it's time to find another person to watch this child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Have him go to bed at the same time as your kid. Your watch, your rules. If he cries it out, so be it. Read them a story, maybe let him have a quiet toy in bed with him or a book, but that's it. He'll get used to it with you and either lay there awake until he falls asleep or start having a normal sleep schedule.
    qtnfluffy

Answer by qtnfluffy at 1:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009