Where is that statistic from?

Rather than continue in the other post, I am curious, pure and simple, where is the statistic that 40% of all Bmoms do not have additional children out of shame and guilt.

Not looking to debate whether secondary infertility occurs in the bmom population or the general population, just curious about the source of this particular statistic.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Adoption

• I don't have an answer to your question, but when I've seen the term "secondary infertility" here, at first I thought it was referring to the medical term (inability to achieve another pregnancy after having had a previous pregnancy). Just thought it was interesting that the same term is being used with a slightly different meaning.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Here's a couple of sources. You can find more if you google.

http://www.adoptioncrossroads.org/ginni.html#adoptee

http://www.birthmothers.info/kelly/

All you have to do is walk into a support group of birth mothers and ask for a show of hands of those that never went on to have subsequent children. One woman I met thinks her body rejected her uterus.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• And no one knows for sure why. Shame, guilt, fear, trauma, misplaced loyalty, are common theories.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Can you point out where it is. Not only did I not find a statistic that said that 40% of all bmoms suffer from secondary infertility, I found the opposite: 73.4% of all women in that survey had other children. Did I miss it?

Respectfully, I support your right to talk til you are blue in the face about the emotional aspects that you suffered after placing your child. But if this is not a true statistic, why the need to make up things that send unneccesary panic into someone.

The person in the other post ( I think) is about 21 yrs old and scared about how she will feel about her next child. You told her that there is a 40% higher chance that she wont even have another.... I dont understand how that is helpful, especially if it turns out that stat is not even true.

Trying to word this respecfully, but I dont get it. Why the scare tactics
    Anonymous

• Iamgrateful: I think the term is being used the same way, isnt it?

Anonymous

• Anon 8:46 - I just noticed a slight difference in the way the term is being used. Medically, secondary infertility is when a person is physiologically unable to achieve a pregnancy after a successful first pregnancy. I see that as different from avoiding pregnancy for other reasons such as grief, guilt, loyalty, or other reasons that are not physiological. That would be more psychological. I'm not disputing that this happens. I was just commenting that it is interesting that the term has slightly different meaning for different people.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I do not rely much on statistics personally. Every situation and person is different. Any yet, I too have met many birth moms who never had other children after relinquishing their first born. They are not rare by any means. I consider it significant enough that pregnant women considering adoption need to be aware of the possibility. Does it really matter exactly how many? I don't think so.

Frankly, I do not believe many statistics that I do see. Both sides of an issue might generate studies and reach different conclusions, depending on their bias. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle of both sides. Adoption has not yet been analyzed and studied enough to have reached many absolute conclusions. There are a few things that now seem evident, but there simply is not enough hard data to conclusively prove many things in adoption.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 11:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Southern, I dont disagree with you. Statistics, when they are based on true research are debatable enough as it is. There are few studies where the pool is large enough and collected in a non-bias method,
    But these statistics are often used to persuade someone to do or not do something and in this case are used to tell someone how hard their future will be. If there really is no source, will you stop quoting them yourself (if you do) or standi up when you see statistics quoted that you know dont have a source?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have already stopped using statistics. Plus, I try to educate and provide encouragement to parent if a woman wants to parent. I do not want to convince a mom to do anything she doesn't want to do.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 10:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• There is one statistic that I do still use. I have seen a statistic that over half the pregnancies in the US each year are unplanned. That is one statistic that I do use because I have seen in it multiple places, including sites connected with the government and have no reason not to believe it.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 4:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2009