Is there diffrent denominations to atheism?

I dont mean to sound stupid bu I have never met an atheist before and I was just wondering.
And do atheist have any rituals?
What is the diffrence between an atheist and a satanist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are different types of atheists, like spiritual, scientific and militant to name a few. 

I will let some of the ladies who practice Satanism explain that to you since they will do a far better job than I.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• There are different types of atheists, like beeky said. I'll add in agnostic and apathetic.

Atheists do not believe in Satan. Therefore they do not worship Satan, because they don't even believe he exists.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yeah, there are as many different kinds of atheists as there are theists, really. But atheism isn't a religion, so there aren't any rituals to be done. At least with my kind of atheism. I'm an agnostic atheist. I won't believe in a deity until proof is given that such deity exists. There are strong atheists and weak atheists, and like beeky said, militant and spiritual and scientific atheists. The wikipedia page has good information on it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Atheism is the lack of belief in gods. There are no denominations, there is no belief in Satan. Atheists do not practice any religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'd like to add to the wonderful explanations the other ladies have given that Satanists don't worship Satan either. Most Satanists are Atheists but not all.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 7:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If you're confused - it's reasonable! Trying to label and pigeonhole a belief system is nearly impossible. If you think about CHRISTIANITY and then break that belief system down into denominations and then go even further with personal beliefs you'll appreciate that it simply isn't possible to categorize - each person has their own PERSONAL set of beliefts.

The general statements already made by these knowledgeable ladies are about the closest one can come to a general understanding of atheism.
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 8:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No atheism does not have denominations. They simply don't believe in god, it's not a religion. And no they are not satanists. Atheists do not believe in Satan.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 8:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yes, I guess you could lable different types of Athiests as different "denoms" but they aren't really. They just believe differently than others. Because there is no real Organized Athiestic Religion besides maybe Satanism, you can't really lable them as Denominations, just types. But there are many different types. Some believe in spirits others do not. Some believe in magick others do not. But because there are few if any Athiestic Religious Sects there is no real ritual, they have no reason for it. The Chruch of Satan, which is primarily Athiestic in nature, does have certain rituals to celebrate life, but not any kid of Gods, just people...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• atheist aren't satanist, but some satanist are atheist lol. Satanist believe differently then atheist. we believe we are our own god, we worship ourselves, where atheist don't worship anyone/anything..satanist have rituals (not all do them though), most people view satanist more of a lifestyle then a religion. i use it as both a religion and lifestyle. if you care to learn more about satanism, feel free to join the group Satanism in Depth.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• different types of atheists, yes. agnostic, spiritual, humanist, and many more.

satanists, there are different types too. the majority dont even believe in satan.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009