constipated 6 week year old! help me

my poor baby girl who is 6 weeks is constipated. what can i do to help her? i formula feed her earth's best dairy formula.

babybaileysmom

Asked by babybaileysmom at 7:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When is the last time she went #2??

Answer by louise2 at 7:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• A teaspoon of sugar in a 4ounce bottle of water should do the trick.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Talk to your pediatrician about it.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 8:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Definitely speak to the pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• here is what I did with my baby when he was that age. First of all, the doc suggested this so no worries there. Go buy dark karo syrup, and then add 1 teaspoon per four ounces up to 3 times a day.Its stronger than pure sugar and is safe. Do not use juice as babies can have severe allergies until 4 monts old. If that doesnt work after about a day, email me and I can tell you what else we did...but the karo will work. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• This is a perfectly natural situation. Most babies typically have a change in their BMs around this age. If you have introduced any new foods, or changed her formula, her belly is just adjusting. Whatever the case, pediatricians recommend mixing an ounce of apple juice with an ounce of water and feeding it to her each day until she has a BM. If she is not showing signs of pain or discomfort and she is wetting her diaper regularly, let it run its course. I would definately connect with your family practitioner if she goes longer than 5-7 days.
    Carrielou13

Answer by Carrielou13 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I had the same situation last week with my 7 wk. old. I called my pediatrician and she recommended using a rectal thermometer to get the bowels going. Just place it in there and wiggle it just a little. If that doesn't work, she also recommended giving him a little bit of pear juice. My mom and grandma suggested a teaspoon of kayro syrup with 3 oz. of water.
    Lindzh01

Answer by Lindzh01 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Symptoms?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009