Why do you think this is?

I've come to realize that it SEEMS only HIGHLY religious people have children w/ D/S ... Every one of them I see has parents who are VERY VERY religious ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe because of their pro-life stance? I know there is a high rate of abortion for Down's.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• What if D/S?
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Have you ever been around a down syndrome? They are the most beautiful people inside and out. In my opinion you look into their faces and see God. They are truely a gift.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think it may just be who you know... I used to work with seniors and adults with disabilities, including a day program for people with Downs Syndrome. Out of those clients, the families were really diverse... some were religious, some not, and since it's a diverse city those who were religious were not all of the same faith background.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

----
    everyone sees "god" , or a special child .. i see a child , like any other child. i dont think children w/ this are more special than other kids who are normal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My cousin had DS. My uncle and aunt are (and were) far from religious! Personally after watching him TRY to live and die so young (which is common) I firmly believe I would abort if I knew my child was DS. I see no reason to make anyone suffer through a short meaningless life...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My cousin's youngest is D/S. They are also very, very religious. I've never thought about that before, but it does seem that way...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• 9:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2009
    ---
    I agree , i would abort if i knew my child would be born w/ DS ... i always did say that i would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree , i would abort if i knew my child would be born w/ DS ... i always did say that i would.   Me too!

To the OP,  can't say that I've noticed.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Meaningless life. What life can be meaningless. All life as a purpose. That kind of attitude is what promoted the eugenics policies of the early 20th century. Were would you stop? Who is to choose whose life as meaning and whose don't. If the eugenics policies would have been allowed to continue. I would have been sterilized. because I carry a mutant bone gene. I myself had hip dysplasia and have two children with bone problems one has a very rare disease. What about Stephen Hawkins. With genetic testing people like him would never be born. I have known way too many with various diablities to ever say that any of them have a meaningless life. Now on the other hand I have known a lot of able bodied persons brains, to match that do seem to be a waste of good air. But then again who are we to judge.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2009