Is the distaste that straight people feel towards homosexual behavior natural or learned?

I don't mean to offend people by this question, but this is something I've wondered practically my whole life. When I was 5, I was at a park with my parents, I wondered a bit off into the woods and came across a male couple lying on the ground engaged in deep kissing. I remember being absolutely revolted by it. At the time I knew nothing about homosexuality, so I don't see how my reaction would have been based on societal conditioning, and I don't think that I would have responded the same way to seeing a heterosexual couple making out. I am very accepting of homosexuality and have gay friends, but throughout the years this image has popped into my head and I always experience the same reaction. Is this just natural or do you think there's another reason for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would say learned.... I don't have a problem with it, but I have family and friends who are engaged in same sex relationships. Have been exposed to it for a good part of my life. To each their own.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I believe it is natural to be revolted by the sight of two men/two women kissing. It is not natural, we were intended to be paired off male to female and no other way. If it were natural, you would see males and females of the animal kingdom attracted male to male and female to female.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't know. For some people it might be natural and for some people it might be learned.

How do you know that you wouldnt have felt the same way if it had been a heterosexual couple? I know I was grossed out at the thought of ANYONE kissing until I was about 8. Then I chased the boys around the playground trying to kiss them. ;)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Natural, for sure.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think it can be both. I do not agree with being gay/ homosexual, but sexual preference does not automatically make me dislike the person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Learned.

I have never felt revolted by homosexual people at all. My parents never taught me one way or the other. They never taught me to be tolerant of it or to disapprove of it.

And to quote for good measure, "How do you know that you wouldnt have felt the same way if it had been a heterosexual couple?"

I too was grossed out by ANYONE making out until I was like 12. I openly hated on Titanic at age nine because I thought the sex scene was disgusting.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't know for a fact that I wouldn't have been grossed out by a heterosexual couple kissing, it's just a hunch. Of course it could be because by the age of 5 I was already having crushes on boys!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Deffinitely natural, I never heard my parents mention anything about homosexuals. I've always been grossed out when I see to people of the same sex displaying any kind of affection. Even now when I see it on TV, I can't even look at it because it really upsets my stomach. I hope that they don't legalize gay marriage in NY because I'm sure I'll be forced to see more of it.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• What difference does it make, we just do.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• This is going to be the answer to your question:
    In general, thought not always..... if you are anti-gay....you'll find the sentiment a natural one, if you are pro-gay, you'll find the dislike a learned trait.....
    either way....it's all depending which viewpoint you take that in effect "confirms" or validates the way you think the way you do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2009