What do they know???

Do they know there ABC/123z?? JB is 19m and doesnt know anything..

ArlieBeeMee

Asked by ArlieBeeMee at 8:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont feel bad. Talia will be 2 on saturday and refuses to learn anything.
    malia.tayler

Answer by malia.tayler at 8:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• that is way too early for them to learn and retain the information. That is why children are sent to school around 5-6 bc that's when they can learn it and remember it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• There's no reason for your 19 month old to know his alphabet or numbers (and recognition is much more important than being able to recite them in order)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It's NOT to early to retain information. Children are like a sponge until they are about 6 years old. Sing the ABC song to them, count with them, they may not be repeating it yet, but I guarantee you, they ARE learning. Use every opportunity you get to teach numbers, letters, colors and shapes. Teach them while they are curious, make it fun and you will have a life long learner.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It is definitely not to early for them to retain information, but it's not expected they know that stuff yet. (point of clarification for my previous post)

And these days most kids are sent to school at 4 (pre-k) and they learn there.

I agree with kustomkrochet...play, play, play. Label everything and JB will pick it up before you know it! We had building blocks with letters and numbers on them....yellow A, Blue B, green C, etc. They learned colors, numbers and letters all at once! It's not a ball, it's the yellow ball. It's the square book. Label, label, label.....

My older two knew their letters, numbers, basic shapes and colors before they were 2. My youngest is 2 1/2 and knows his basic shapes (and a few others....trapeziod! lol), basic colors but still messes up some, majority of his letters and numbers to 10. Way behind the other two, but still ahead of "average" for his age.

Play with him. Don't sweat it
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Ah, they will learn in time. It's not necessary to really know until Kindergarten, right? We don't watch a lot of TV, we don't even subscribe to cable in the spring and summer, actually it's been almost a year now we gave up on cable so we have a lot of time to devote to learning new things. She's known her alphabet and their sounds since before her 2nd birthday and is learning counting. She recognizes small words and all the letters, and is now trying to write them. If you want to know what worked for me, it's turning off the TV and working one on one a lot. I even did one or two letters a day and devote the day to the letters (Sesame Street gave me the idea!) and used flash cards. And, when she did get to watch TV it was a often Leap Frog's Letter Factory! :)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• She is 16 months and knows to count to 3 in English, to 6 in Arabic. And she can copy when we do the alphabet in both languages, but doesn't remember them to just go out and say it!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2009