What would YOU do? (assault?)

Ok, I usually do not mind people touching my belly.

Well...I was at Wal-Mart looking at baby stuff and this guy walks up and asks me how far along I am. I tell him, and he says "Wow, you doing good"..then puts his hand on my stomach. Continues to say.."You don't look that far".."Are you sure yout pregnant" (lol)Then tells me "Wow, I don't think you'll get much bigger" (wtf?) All this time he is touching, rubbing, SQUEEZING my stomach..he started getting lower..& then lifted my shirt up while saying "What does your belly button look like?" I was pissed. It took everything I had not to knock him the F out!!! I could tell he was kinda slow. But this was scary. He did this atLEAST 5minutes. He wouldn't stop!! Even when I continued to walk away and TRY to end the conversation. I know alot of you will say why did I let him? Well..I never said he could!! I would consider this assault. What would you have done??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Thats creepy, but Im like u I probably would have just kept walking and trying to get away. I hate causing a scene...but ewwww. Im sorry u had to experience that.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would have told him to get his damn hands off of me. A friendly rub on the belly is one thing but what he did should have been reported.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't consider it assualt. I would have told him to back off and not touch me. If he got made OH well slow or not he needs to learn personal space. I have a brother who is 25 but mentally is like a 6 year old even he knows to give people their personal space. I had to tell more than once person to back off and not touch me when I was pregnant. One woman who came up and started rubbing my belly was shocked when I started rubbing her. She said "what are you doing" and "I said exactly why are you rubbing mine you half wit just because there is a baby does not make it less weird when you rub mine." You have to speak up. What he did was wrong but had you spoken up I doubt he would have touched you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think I would have let it go for a minute or two, but if he didn't stop I would have told him flat out to stop touching me! If I had to be rude about it I absolutely would have!!

As for it being assault.... I personally would say no. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree, but since he is obviously not right in the head, I'd chalk it up to him just being slow and let it go. He probably has enough issues. I feel bad for people like that. They don't realize what they are doing is strange.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would have stepped back in an effort to show with body language that I didn't want him to continue. If the subtle movements didn't work I'd have turned to face my cart putting my belly between me and the handle of the cart and started to move away. If the advances continued I'd say something like "Okay, that's enough. Thank you." I am really sort of shy and I would like to talk tough and say I'd yell "Stop touching me!" but I know in my heart that I wouldn't be able to. I rely on body language a lot in these situations. It's hard when you are with someone who doesn't pick up on subtle hints though!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• PS You don't HAVE to let anyone touch you if you don't want them to. You wouldn't let them hold your baby would you? (I don't let anyone I don't know hold my baby). You are perfectly with in your rights to say "No" and to call security if you have to. This is your family and you can protect them in anyway you see fit.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would tell him to go away LOL. The first time he touched my stomach I would say "Remove your hands from me, I do not know you." And if he kept going after that, I'd call security. :]
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 10:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would have turned away and faced my cart so he couldn't touch me and walked away. If he followed me I would have found an employee and gave them a heads up that he was getting to close. I'm kind of shy but I definitely wouldn't have stood there while he felt me up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It is creepy, But not assault,,harassment is a better word for it.Me i would have never let him touch me.  I would have moved his hand away and told him to leave me alone. If that would not have worked I would get loud. Saying things loudly like "leave me alone"

Answer by louise2 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Well you may not have told him he could but why would you stand there for 5 minutes? I would have slapped his hand away immediately and walked away. And maybe he had a disability...sometimes people with autism have a need to touch people they are attracted too. Was he an employee? If so I would have reported it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2009