What would YOU do? (consider this assault?)

Ok, I usually do not mind people touching my belly.

Well...I was at Wal-Mart looking at baby stuff and this guy walks up and asks me how far along I am. I tell him, and he says "Wow, you doing good"..then puts his hand on my stomach. Continues to say.."You don't look that far".."Are you sure yout pregnant" (lol)Then tells me "Wow, I don't think you'll get much bigger" (wtf?) All this time he is touching, rubbing, SQUEEZING my stomach..he started getting lower..& then lifted my shirt up while saying "What does your belly button look like?" I was pissed. It took everything I had not to knock him the F out!!! I could tell he was kinda slow. But this was scary. He did this atLEAST 5minutes. He wouldn't stop!! Even when I continued to walk away and TRY to end the conversation. I know alot of you will say why did I let him? Well..I never said he could!! I would consider this assault. What would you have done??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You shouldv'e reported what had happened to someone in the store.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i would a told him i felt uncomfortable. or i would have got my cell phone and called someone lol so i could end the conversation
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 9:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't think it's assault. Maybe if you had said no leave me alone and he forcefully touched you . Sometimes we worry to much about being rude. Be assertive. Say don't touch me! Sorry I know that probably freaked you out I had some man poke me hard in the belly when I was preggo. It hurt , some people are just idiots.
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 9:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Ewwww....okay i'm very outspoken and I frankly would have said something like "Ok you can stop molesting me and leave me alone before I look for security"

There are t-shirts that sellers on www.cafepress.com make that come in maternity shirts that have cute savings like "Yes I'm pregnant, NO you can't touch my belly" or "Hands Off" and other things like that.....i'd get something like that to avoid belly grabbing in the future!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Sounds like you were being to nice. I understand it is hard to deal with the retarded (you said he was slow, but I think most people missed that, so I will just lay it out there.) but you needed to say GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF ME BEFORE I CALL SECURITY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would have smacked his hand away, not as a conscious choice but because any time anyone touches my belly that is my first reaction. My girls (4 and 6) are allowed to touch my belly but when anyone else does if it is family I back away politely... if it is someone else I literally smack th ehand away- then if it is a friend i will tell them this funny story: because during this pregnancy I have not wanted to be touched, once when my husband leaned in to kiss me I almost smacked him away on impulse... that way I can keep my friend, and they will know it's not just them but people in my space bug me...

to be honest even when my girls touch my belly i don't like it, but I let them for obvious reasons.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 10:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You were groped by someone with a perversion. A well meaning, normal man knows damn well its not appropriate to lift a woman's shirt. I think you should've reported it at least to the store so they know such a man is hanging out in their baby dept. In fact, it's still not to too late. Let them know and they can have their security team review the security camera footage.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yes it is assault. The perpetrator could probably get indecent assault for that.  In the future, if you  don't like that happening to you, don't let it!  I keep a circle of personal space around myself and my daughter.  If someone steps into my circle, I back up or otherwise gesture it's not okay.  It's not fair you have to walk around on guard like that, but it's a fact of life that unfortunately cannot be changed.  If you are still feeling raw about it, do something proactive.  Maybe make a donation to a domestic abuse or women's group, I am certain there isn't much you can do about your specific incident at this point (but if you think it will help you feel better, you can try!).

Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would have considered it assault. Definitly would have called security, at least. I agree with the others that say you weren't being assertive enough, though. When you are in a situation like that, the most important thing you can do is say no, stop, and just in general stand up for yourself. That kind of touching is not ok from a stranger (I wouldn't even like it from someone I knew!)
    Anonymous

• i would have smacked him. well, first i would have told him to stop touching me and to get away. and then if he didn't i would have smacked him!!!! that is totally uncalled for. you should have let him know that you weren't comfortable w/ it and to stop it. be assertive!!! you have to stand up for yourself and your baby.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 4:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009