High Fever- no other symptoms

My daughter had a 103 fever Sunday night and into Monday. Took her to the doctors yesterday and they say its just viral and will go away. Last night and this morning she is at 100. Anyone else go through this before? How long before their temp. broke?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 9:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes, I have. Alternate Tylenol and Advil until it breaks, usually a couple of days. 100 is not that bad of a temp. My son used to run fevers for no reason, the doctor called it a fever virus.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my dd did, they told me the same thing it was a couple days motrin and tylenol luke warm baths and i put her in light but long sleeve and long pant pajamas to keep her warm but she doesnt get over heated.
    Anonymous

• Yes, and I don't give meds for it either. Only prolongs it. :o) Let that kid's body do what it's meant to do! :o)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My daughter had three days of high fevers like you mentioned and no other symptoms, then on the fourth day it just disappeared and she broke out with a rash on her belly. THe rash didn't bother her at all, she didn't even know it was there and it went away in a few days. The doc said it was roseola and not to be worried
    Anonymous

• Fevers are just the body's way of killing off whatever is bad. If the child is not lethargic, properly hydrated, and acting normally, then there is no need to give any medicine. If you feel the need, then a lukewarm bath is OK, along with light clothing (cotton is best).
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 11:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yup. It could be anything her body is just fighting off an invader. I tend to not even take the kids to the dr. unless they are some unusual symptoms or I suspect strep, until they've had a fever for 3 days b/c they just tell you its prob. a virus and send you home.
    Keep checking temp and give Tylenol and/or Motrin when it goes over 100 or so (I personally don't give anything under 100 b/c I believe in letting the body try to fight it off)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think with roseola there is a fever for a few days followed by a rash. I don't think roseola is a big deal though. Also, whenever my DD has an ongoing fever it usually turns out to be an ear infection even though she hasn't complained about sore ears.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2009