What did you look for when choosing a preschool?

KinderCare

Asked by KinderCare at 9:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter will start preschool this September. When I decided on her school I went based off other moms reviews as well as the cost of the school. The school where my daughter will go is co-op where I will volunteer so many times throughout the year...this was so much more reasonable then the other regular preschools in our area.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My criteria were:
    Cost - it doesn't matter how much I love the school or how highly recommended if I can't afford it.

Program length - I didn't want an all-day, 5-day-a-week program. So I looked for schools that offered what I did want... 2 half days a week. We have lots of other activites that we do and I want to make sure we still have time to do them before she must be in school all day.

Co-op - I am not ready to cut the apron strings yet. I want to be involved in her school day, to see what she does, so I looked for a co-op school. I'll be there one day a week, helping out. I won't be hovering over her but I'll be nearby and will get to see how she interacts with other people, I'll get to see her learning and growing.

Recommendations - I talked to moms with older kids and asked them what they knew of the different schools on my list.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I wanted something local so we could walk there and something reasonably priced. I was more concerned with the social aspect than the academic aspect so that wasn't a huge concern although I did want something more than just a play group.

We went with the program at our local high school. It's very reasonable (cheapest I looked at and less then half the price of the other local one) and it's a small group with excellent teacher studio ratio - 2 teachers to 10 kids. There are teens helping with the school through the early childhood class class. My son really enjoys it and he's made some great friends; he's upstairs playing with one of them right now.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I looked for a program that met 3 times per week for a half day. I stopped in and looked around and talked with the teacher. I wanted a program that emphasizes age appropriate hands on activities that the child chooses and also ones the teacher chooses. I DID NOT want a program that used a lot of worksheets or coloring sheets. I wanted one that allowed the kids to complete many art projects, and had a very warm, inviting, sweet teacher.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We got reviews from other military families in the area, checked pricing because that has to work for our budget and program length I wanted a 2 or 3 day a week program with half days. I feel she is too small to go all day without me just yet. She is EXTREMELY excited to start preschool in August!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I didn't look for anything because i know we could never afford a traditional, private preschool. It was pointless. But the park district in Chicago offers a preschool program. It's 2 days a week for 1 1/2-2 hours each day (depending on the park and teacher). And it's $150 for the entire year. It's all we could ever afford so that's where my oldest went. My middle daughter also attended (at a different park from the first) but only for 1/2 a year (she was already 5 when she started). My son never went because we were living in another state when he would have been in preschool. My youngest daughter will start in the fall.
    So my only factor to consider was cost. It had to be cheap and we don't qualify for Head Start (which sucked because we literally lived upstairs from them in the same building in PA when my son was 3 and 4 years old).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• location-seriously no matter how highly recommended it is I'm not driving to the other side of the city for her to attend.

adult to kid ratio

cost

pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2009