Biteing issues with a 14 month old...

I don't know if this has already been answered, but I have a 14 month old that bites HARD and laughs at it. I have tried a few things, but he still thinks that it is SO SO funny and I had a neighbor kid over the other day...yep- he thought a fun way to play would be to bite him. Any suggestions? It it a normal age to start this habit? I didn't think that I would be asking this question this early.
Thanks in advance!

TurtleTreasure

Asked by TurtleTreasure at 10:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One of my twins was a biter at that age too. He'd get so excited and didn't know what to do so he'd bite. I used the following time out technique consistently and it worked:

Tell him "no biting" then hold him in your lap facing away from you for a minute then repeat "no biting" give him a kiss and move on.

We'd also tell him "when you get excited give us a squeeze" so you may want to also come up with something for him like :"when you're happy to see a friend, give him a hug".
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 10:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• yes it is normal for this age, everychild is different though. He needs to know that it is unaceptable. We actually just recently had our almost 2 yr old start biting...not sure how long it went on because her brothers just never told us because "it didn't hurt"... till one day it did and she left teeth marks. My husband bit her back. Once she relized how much it hurts, she stoped. WE haven't had a problem since. Sometimes they just don't understand if what they are doing hurts or not. She had never been bitten that i can recall... but now she knows, and that was the last we have had of it. Our first bit me alot, I just didn't have the guts to do anything, my husband got tiered of it, bit him back, and that was the end of that. My second never bit, but probably because he got bit alot while I was working at a daycare. But he also has a very soft personality and doesn't lash out.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2009