Do your toddlers ever do this?

It's like my son knew I made a doctors appointment for him so ever since then he's been a little dare devil. The same day I made the appointment he climbed up on a table and fell off, he's fallen off of a small exercise trampoline and scratched his back, fell down while he was just standing still and scratched himself on a laundry basket, dropped a can of oranges on his foot, missed sitting on his potty and fell on the lid that had a bunch of plastic pieces sticking out. I've been trying to keep him from getting all beat up so the doctor doesn't think I beat him or anything but it seems the more I try the more he wants to get into things and get hurt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes - my son is so clumsy...he will fall down constantly
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My SIL told me that when her first daughter was around one years old she was afraid to go to the doctor because of all the bruises she had. The doctor told her that he would wonder why the baby DIDN't have bruises -- because most kids fall so much it's normal for them to be banged up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm sure your pedi doesn't think you beat your child. Bumps and scrapes are normal as is the exploring and testing boundaries. Take him to the park as often as you can so he'll have places to climb and play that are ok for him. Enjoy the summer!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When my boys were little- in 20's now- we spent so much time in ER, they were diagnosed with ADHD. It got so bad one summer that ER nurses kept files out on desk cause the boys were there so much, and we did not even have to give history etc. when we went in, LOL. One time we ran into to one of the nurses at the park and I told her " see we do take them somewhere besides ER." Usually it is pretty obvious that the bruises are accidents and not abuse.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• abuse bruises would be different then the bumps and bruises your son is getting. the peds know exactly where to look for abuse and the bruises would most likely be more "deep" if that makes sense.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't ever worry about it. My daughter and I both bruise like bananas. She's the most un-abused kid I know. Let someone try to accuse me of beating her! She's got a skinned knee and two scratches on her stomach right now from climbing on the coffee table now that I moved it back in the living room. Docs know the difference.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Doctors are trained to tell the difference between kid-induced bumps and bruises and abuse.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My daughter will no doubt get a diaper rash the day of her appointment!!! It is very frustrating. I keep thinking the doctor will think I am nasty and don't treat her rash! Lol.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• par for the course.
    catkins

Answer by catkins at 2:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I feel the same way my son seem to always get hurt before we go to the Doctor or before we go to a family/friends house and its always his head I think he just likes to hear me explain why he looks like a boxer
    Michylyn

Answer by Michylyn at 5:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2009