If God answers medical prayers, then why do you need health insurance?

If what Jesus says about prayer in the Bible is true, and if all the stories about medical miracles in inspirational literature are true, and if your belief in God and the power of prayer is true, and if God has a plan for you, then why do you ever need to visit a doctor or go to the hospital? Why don't you simply pray for a cure whenever you get sick?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe doctors are gifted by God and that medicine is a tool for us to use in healing. I believe we are to use what God has given us. Yes, God heals both the small and the big but I believe it to be foolish to sit back and just say, "God will heal me/them". We are to put works with our faith.
    MyBelovedOnes

Answer by MyBelovedOnes at 1:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If God answers medical prayers, then why do you need health insurance?

in case i don't pray hard enuff, lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• some people do- but I think that God gave a special wisdom and strength to Dr's and nurses. They have a stamina and strength that most people can not imagine. If that isn't from Him then maybe they are all aliens :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Trust God, but lock your car door--same thing, God expects us to do our part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Because God does things in his own way and in his own time. For instance, I may have cancer and pray for heath and God sends the perfect Dr to me to help cure me, this is HIS way of curing me.

Or, maybe he chooses to call me home, and not cure me until I am in Heaven, either way I am cured, just in his time and in his way.

Anonymous

• I was anointed before my surgery, and in the process the priest prayed for God to guide the doctors, nurses, surgeons and all other medical persons who will take part in my surgery.

I asked the very question you asked. Why can't a miracle just heal me. Atheist are not the only ones who question the bible and why things happen. God gave me symptoms to understand there was a problem, he gave me common sense to go to the doctor, he gave the doctor the intelligence to be able to understand and diagnose the symptoms, He gave the surgeon steady hands to cut and perform the surgery, He gave the anesthesiologist the ability to convert numbers,and compute how much of what drugs are needed during the surgery. He gave the nurses the compassion to keep me calm before the surgery and most of all he kissed me with the miracle of waking up and being better. Medical doctors and insurance are HIs miracles
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 11:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• well God wants us to use common since we need to go to doctor for pregnancy and things.. I have been healed and I know alot of people that have been healed... Jesus does heal today just like he did in the bible days.. You are right so many people rely on the doctors when they need to rely on Jesus if they believe in him and know he can heal them... Like i said Jesus has healed me and alot of people in my family.. You just have to believe that he can do it and trust in him... :-)

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• God gave us science and doctors and technology as miracles to fix medical problems. Medical insurance just gives us a way to pay for it.

There are some people who don't believe that doctors should be used. They believe in accepting "The will of God". I just happened to believe that the "will of God" is to give is the doctors.

Although, sometimes, no matter how hard the doctors try, people still die. Sometimes people don't get better. We also have to accept that as the will of God.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Well said anon 10:49. God created the Dr.'s that we go to for medical advice and medications and yes, healing. These doctors were chosen by God to be who they are so that they may help the sick. God does answer our prayer. But, sometimes not in the way WE want him to. But God's wisdom is all-knowing. We pray and continue to pray for God's guidance in our lives and His healing on our lives. Prayer in itself is a wonderous thing. But, God doesn't have to PROVE Himself to anyone. HE knows who and what HE is, whether we mere mortals believe it or not.
    God is God....period.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• To answer your question from an Islamic point of view.

Allah told us that we must put our trust in him..And this means that we turn to him for all of our affairs. So does this mean that we do nothing and just wait. NO... The prophet told that for every disease there is a cure except death. and that we have to find the cure. And finding that cure lies upon what Allah has bestowed on man of intellect. And His intellect reaches a level of making a cure as per permission of God. in essence the messenger told us.. that we put our trust in Allah but we tie our camel.. meaning you do what you have to do..Allah provides the fruits and veggies and meat but we have to go and get it. and we pray that Allah makes it a source of nutritious value to us and healthy for us.

health insurance is Man made....and is based upon a probablitlity of not being used which makes it a gamble which is forbidden.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009