If Jesus died for our sins, then why does it matter whether we believe in him or not?

If Jesus dies for sins, then why is lack of belief a "sin" that isn't forgiven? If we look at a) a child-rapist/murderer who never stops until the day he dies, but believes in Christ and b) a charitable individual, gives life to helping other, but doesn't believe, why would the latter be the one to burn in hell?

Is this just a scare tactic to get people to believe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no, it's not to "scare you" if you don't believe in him why would you want to go to heaven? your question makes no sense
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• No one said anything about wanting to go to heaven, anon 10:33.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You must believe in order to accept His forgiveness, without belief and faith, you are lost.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 10:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If you were a thief and were found guilty and put into jail forever for your crime. And a man came by and told the guard that he would stay in your place and you would be able to go free and live in happiness forever, but all you had to do was believe he was the one who did it for you.....wouldnt you?

Why does everyone WANT the good things, but refuse to do what it takes to get them?

God wants us to WANT him. If we force our children to love us, it doesnt mean as much as if they choose it on their own, that is true love....and only true love can enter into heaven.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Force your children to love you? I don't ever remember choosing to love my mother or father. It was a feeling that was always there, and I doubt my 7 year old made a decision about whether I deserve his love or not.

Also, if you want to have someone love you, showing kindness is the best way to do it. The Christian god seems to think that only through suffering, trials and death can you achieve his love.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• both would burn in hell, it doesnt matter how good you are or what great things you do on this planet, b/c you can never measure up to God. So you have to ask him to stand in you place so that you are enough to measure up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Gods love was the greatest love ever shown! His compassion for a fallen people led him to sacrifice his only son to take our place....Jesus took all of our sins upon himself and he was a great enough sacrifice to cover them all.

I love my mother, but if she came to me and said, you HAVE to love me, no choice, I would, but wouldnt that make it less special than if I just came to her with no forcing and say "mother I love you"

Like if I walk up to my dh tonight and say "you love me, right?" and he says "yeah" that means less to me than if he walks up scoops me up in a hug and says I love you so much, all on his own b/c he wanted to, not b/c I asked him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Anon :51 Who made you judge and executioner? He did die for our sins. To open the gates of heaven that where slammed shut with sin of Adam. That said we have know clue as to will be saved or not. or when saving happens. For some it can happen with their first breathe for others on their death bed. Or maybe just maybe when they cross over. We don't know. We can only pray for God's mercy for all.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Ok, I left out a part, IF HE NEVER accepts Jesus. However, if a person on a death bed says a prayer just to avoid hell and really has no love for Jesus in his heart God sees that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Anon,5:1 is right.God says in the Bible about a good person who tries to do good works on their own without Christ,that their righteousness is like filthy rags.Christians don't make these things up,we get all our information from the Bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2009