How soon after starting the day potty training do you start doing it at night?

Do they just start. My dd woke up at 3 to go potty out of the blue she wheres a diaper at night. She has been training about 1 1/2 months and still has accidents in her panties from time to time

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most kids just learn to do it on their own. There are many reasons why kids wet the bed - their body doesn't slow down urine production at night, their bladder is too small to go all night, they don't "hear" their bladder screaming that it's full, they may even dream they are actually sitting on the potty like they are supposed to. No amount of "daytime training" will change what your child's body does while the child is asleep and not in control of it.

Somethings that will help:
    Patience.
    Pullups and/or waterproof pads.

Some things that may help:
    Putting the child in panties for a week every few months and seeing if they improve during that week.
    Putting panties under the pullup.
    Waking the child in the night for a potty run.

Some things that do not help:
    Limiting fluids.
    Lectures and more daytime training.
    Punishment.

She'll get there - both day and night. Patience is the key.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Well, yes they do just start. Night time training is totally different and its not something you can really DO. They will begin waking up when their bladder begins sending signals to their brain to wake them up when its full. It varies for each child. My oldest wet until she was 11 and now my 7 1/2 yr old is still wetting. After 5, they are considered a bedwetter. Before that, they are just still working on it. My 3 yr old isnt potty trained during the day, much less, the night...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Why would you not train for both? Consistency is key in all areas. To me it's sending mixed messages that we use the potty during the day, but at night you can pee the bed...we'll work on that later.
    Anonymous

• Well, anonymous... how do you stop a child from wetting the bed?
    Do you sit by his bed all night, looking for signs that he is about to pee so you can wake him before he does - just like you look for signs of the "potty dance" during the day?
    Do you wake him in the middle of the night and force him to pee, making him sit on the potty until he does even if he is sobbing and begging to go back to sleep?
    Do you just let the child pee the bed and deal with the wet sheets in the morning - day after day, year after year?
    Some kids do not wake up when they have to pee. Do you punish the child for ignoring the feeling and sleeping through it? If not, are you sending "mixed messages"?

Some kids self-train when they day-time train. Some don't. All kids are different and no method works for all kids, all the time... it's as simple as that.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My dd is completely potty trained at almost 3 and don't have accidents its good that your dd woke up on her own that's a good sign. I usually wake my dd up at night after her daddy leaves from his lunch but she also wakes on her own good luck it sounds like there progress!!!
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 4:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Girls must be easy to train for night time. I have 3 boys. I am training the youngest now. My oldest was 9 when he quit wetting the bed every night. I cut off drinks by 6 p.m. I even woke him up at 11 p.m. to get him to empty his bladder. Nothing worked. He would still wet the bed. He slept soundly & was wetting the bed more during the school year. We think that some of it might have been due to stress. My 2nd ds is going through this now.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2009