Potty training regression

My ds is turning 2 here soon. He showed interest in potty training a little before 18 months. We didn't do much with it then thinking he was too young. He would always pee whenever we took off his diaper...so we started standing him up and laying his diaper on the ground and telling him "peepee in the diaper". He did! Eventually we moved him to the toilet whenever we'd change his diaper. Then we decided to do the "naked potty training" lol. It worked! He peed and stopped himself saying "oooooh ooooh!" I told him "go to the potty!" After that he was always telling me "pee pee" or "poo poo" when he needed to go! We were going days without accidents and even waking from naps and even bedtime DRY!!! My dh is military and keeps having to leave for training. This keep causing separation anxiety with ds and behaviour issues. Now he will just pee where ever he is. I say go sit on your potty and he says no and run to his room.

Carri2362

Asked by Carri2362 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OP...continued

I try to make it fun, make it a game...nope. He runs and poops ....not fun! He pees and comes and gets us to show us where he peed on the carpet. I started putting his underwear on him b/c he hates toting around pee or poop (he walks bow legged). But he goes in them anyway, just asks for a change afterwards. I put diapers on him and he has them off in a heartbeat.....sigh.

What do I do? Do I need a new approach?
    Carri2362

Answer by Carri2362 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If I remember right, the average age for a boy to be completely potty trained is 3. Obviously this is not true of ALL boys. Sounds like the is trying to control one of the only things in his life that he can truly control. You may be better off to abandon potty training for now. Instead of diapers, try pull ups. If that doesn't work, then keep on with underwear. When he goes somewhere other than the potty don't react. Just take care of it an move on. If you can get him to use the potty or if he goes on his own, make a HUGE big boy deal of it. Lots of attention, lots of praise, maybe even reward him with a treat that he likes. Sorry but that's the best I've got. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• regression is normal with any stressful event, as well as his age. don't stress. don't worry. don't force it. (my kids weren't fully trained until 3-4, so don't feel bad)
    catkins

Answer by catkins at 3:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• thanks. It just felt like he was THERE and then not. I just didn't know how to handle the regression. If we should just give up right now or maintain what we have....idk how to explain it lol.
    Carri2362

Answer by Carri2362 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Things will get better just don't try pushing too hard that could cause even more regression and let him know that daddy will have to leave but daddy will come back make sure if he decides to potty like a big boy that you praise him. My dd has been potty trained since 18 months started at 12 she wanted to wasn't pushed and she'll be 3 in Sept and I still praise her and tell her that she's making mommy so proud and that helps.

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 4:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009