Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help about a bed!

I think I want to get my toddler a big girl bed, and I dont think I want to get a toddler bed. I think I want to get her a twin. My problem is that I cannot find the type I want. I have no idea what they are called but they are low to the ground, dont have a box spring and have a rail at least on one side that matches the head board and foot board.......anyone have any idea what they are called?


Asked by Love2BMommy77 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 6 (114 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • I don't know if side-rails are available that match the bed but you can get some at most baby places that work with any mattress / bed.
    I found this bed online...

    They call it a "coaster bed". I searched for "metal tube bed" in Google.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • Kind of sounds like a platform bed, by your description. I've never seen it in a twin size, but they come in double, queen, king. It's a basic box, so you could build it and stain/paint it to match the decor of the room. Then you simply put the mattress (no boxspring) on the "box". And if you're making it yourself, you can make the box as high as you want. You can buy rails anywhere.

    Answer by EireLass at 11:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • Are you talking about a daybed?

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • No not a platform or a day bed. The ones I have seen the head and foot boards are white metal tubbing and they are rounded at the top with up and down bars through the inside and have a rail on the side that matches. There is no box spring so it uses like what a day bed or crib uses....the spring thing. And their really close to the ground, like a toddler bed, but uses a twin mattress. I thought they were called youth beds but that didnt come up with anything on the search.

    Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • What you want is a bed with an innerspring mattress. And a modified "Hollywood" frame. You may have to make it yourself, but I would make the rail detachable if you do, it really won't be needed for more than a few months or a couple of years at the most.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • That IS a daybed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • I looked up the hollywood bed and thats not it, that only came up with the old fashion two twins side by side and the stadard frames with no head or foot boards.

    Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • Its not a day bed, the rail is like half way down the front side. I wish I could draw a picture...I just seen one at a second hand store like a week ago.

    Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • Iv been looking everywhere on line and I think maybe it might be something they have discontinued making. I remember seeing alot of them when I was younger.......IDK

    Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • I moved my sons to QUEEN sized beds/mattresses when they were 18 months old! Their beds had head and foot boards, and we placed one long side against the wall, and bought an almost full-length mesh side rail for the other from One Step Ahead.

    The height from the top of the mattress to the floor was only 18 inches. No one ever fell out of their beds, and when they were about 3 1/2 or so, we removed the side rail completely. Now they have mattresses/beds that they can "grow" into right up through their teen years and beyond!

    I'm 40, and still have the brass bedroom set I got when I was 10! :o)


    Answer by LoriKeet at 12:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009