is it safe to dye my hair while nursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Health

• Some say it's ok, but there has been studies where they found traces of the chemicals from the hair dye in the breastmilk, so I have decided to wait until I am done nursing.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Many women have colored their hair while breastfeeding for generations and their children are fine. I would however suggest going to a salon because salon color does not have all the chemicals of a color you purchase in a box. In my salon we carry different types of color for different types of people, we even have a formula for people who are allergic to hair color.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I did it, and everything was fine.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I've taken a lot of chemistry, electricity, and anatomy classes. There is no way that hair color can pass through the bloodstream to pass on to breastmilk. It would have to enter your blood stream. Hair is a chemical make up of oxygen, disulfide bonds and keratin protein, it does not pass through to the actual follicle of the hair. However anything you ingest into your body(drugs, food, vitamins)can go through you bloodstream and reach your hair follicle and show up in a strand of hair. In other words you would have to eat haircolor for it to show up in your hair!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Use something non-toxic, like Lush: www.lush.com.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009