ok to swallow toothpaste?

My doctor told me to start using the fluoride toothpaste for my son & he's only one! He does good with it, but when I try to get him to spit it out he just swallows it. Is this bad for him to do this twice a day?

prettyNpink0769

Asked by prettyNpink0769 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it is bad for him to swallow.

Use flouride free.Your doctor is there to suggest things,not be your decision maker.
    manas2ofakind

Answer by manas2ofakind at 11:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Use the tiniest bit so he doesn't swallow much. I believe there are also children's toothpastes, although I don't know if they have fluoride. My children had vitamins with fluoride.

Answer by Bmat at 11:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• use a smaller amount than what the tube says...like half of a pea size
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• they have organic toothpaste for any age that doesn't have flouride in it. There are several good flavors too... We get ours at HyVee..
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• That's very odd advice from your doctor. The ADA recommends waiting until 3 or 4 - once the child is old enough to know not to swallow, can remember to not swallow, and knows how to spit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Kaycee is right I would switch doctors. Or ask him why he suggests you to give him floride so soon.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 12:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Our pediatric dentist had us start with regular toothpaste for our 2 year old. They said the amount they swallow isn't large enough to do any harm.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Im guessing he had a reason to have you use floride toothpaste? Maybe he isnt getting enough else where? My pedi said to keep my DD on the Nursery water for its floride....we dont drink the tap water and bottled water dosent have floride added to it but the nursery water does. She said all children need a little floride for their teeth so keep using it. Maybe you could use nursery water instead of floride toothpaste?
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• here's question. If doctor's give kids vitamins with floride (as my doctor does), wouldn't that imply that small amounts of floride are ok and that therefore swallowing a small amount of toothpaste is ok? (For what it's worth, one of my nephews got into a regular tube of toothpaste when he was little and ate it. My brother called poison control and they weren't particularly concerned about it.)
    Anonymous

• UseOrajel toddler training toothpaste for cleaner teeth. It's safe if swallowed and fluoride-free. For questions on this product you can call 800-952-5080 or go www.orajel.com
    I hope my answer was helpful.
    Ethansmom10

Answer by Ethansmom10 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2009