Why do people...

write out God like this: G-d?
I've seen it a few times and I have no idea why people do it, can someone please explain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I write G-d because I am Jewish. G-d's name should never be written or erased.
    Anonymous

• I think some Orthodox Jews do this because they are not supposed to speak or write the name of God.
    Anonymous

• I dont know why they do that.. All i know im going to write out GOD.................... Thats his name and that should be how we write it :)
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Jews find it disrespectful to write out the word god on anything that can be potentially destroyed or deleted.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Maybe I was mistaken then, because I thought I saw someone Christian write it that way. Is it only a Jewish practice?
    ~OP
    Anonymous

• Its a way of showing Him honor, a way of respecting His name, which is sacred.Jews don't usually write out His name unless its on a sacred document (like in the Torah), and once that document is damaged or can no longer be used it is buried with honor and respect. They take His name seriously, kind of like a "we are not worthy" kind of thing.
    Muslims, too, respect the name of Allah - I was talking with some about someone wanting to get Allah tattooed on himself, and they said it would be disrespectful because you should not bring the name of God into an unclean place (like the bathroom, which is what would have to happen if the name is tattooed on your body...).
    So its all about honor and respect - reverence for the holiness of God and His name, just as they/we respect other things, like His word or His commandments.
    I hope that makes sense, and I'm if I'm wrong feel free to correct me - this is what I have come to understand.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Anon 12:14 where did you get that God name should never be written or erased never heard of that.. Just wanting to know thanks
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Some Christians hold true to some of the traditions/beliefs held by Jews, as we rose from Judaism. For example, there are some Christians who follow the rules regarding kosher foods, some who choose to worship on Saturday rather than Sunday, some who dress modestly, as is seen in Judaism and Islam. These three Abrahamic faiths are closely related, and therefore share many aspects.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• That is interesting, something I never knew.

This is off topic, but I think it's funny when people get offended when people subsitute X for Christ. Like Xmas or Xian. Since X has stood for Messiah and Christ for many, many years.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i wanted to say.. as an FYI... islam does not prohibit the writing or use of the name or names of Allah.. rather it encourages that we should use it as rememberance frequently and as an act of worship. To k eep allah's names and attributes upon our hands and lips is a commendable thing. It keeps a person from sinning and it keeps a person thinking about God.

in addition if we use the name of God on anything and it gets damaged.. or if we no longer want it (for whatever reason).. it must be burned or buried.

For that reason, when i was at the post office the other day, i found two books in arabic from the Jehova Witnesses, on the floor with Allah's name all over it.. I picked them up and brought them home. I will keep them as evidence of what they say about Allah but also as protection from hitting the floor or garbage.

Unfortunately they do not know of how sacred Allah's name is but I do. so i do what i must
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009