How old was your child when you first took them to a kids movie and how did they behave?

Were they old enough to enjoy it? Did they sit down and behave or did it bore them?

Mia1983

Asked by Mia1983 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• my son was 2 1/2years old. He loved the movie, behaved very well. However, my family now hates going to kids movies becasue of all the children who don't behave, talk, throw tantrums, cry, and run around. It's very disruptive and disrespective to those of us who pay the whopping fees for tickets and popcorn.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son was around 3 the first time he went to a movie theater. If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago) he was pretty good and sat through the movie.

My daughter is 3.5 and I wouldn't take her to a movie yet even if you paid me. She definitely wouldn't sit still for a movie and she would have to use the bathroom about a million times.
    lizmarie1975

Answer by lizmarie1975 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think my kids were 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. They were talkative and I warned them twice not to talk when the movie was on. The third time, I took them out of the theater and talked to them about it in the lobby as a "time out". I kept doing that (going to early matinees, removing them from the theater, etc.) until recently as they've learned my basic rule: "If the lights are off, mouths are closed."
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• We started around 6 months with both boys. They both behaved very well. My 3 year old loves going to the movies, sits through the whole thing and is generally quite (he will say some stuff about the movie now).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Have yet to venture out to a movie with my son, I just can't see taking him and interrupting a movie that others paid money to see when I can just wait to rent it for much much cheaper.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 1:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son was 3-4 yrs old, we went once and didn't go again for about 2 years. He couldn't sit still, had to use the bathroom a hundred times and talked TO the movie. Some kids just aren't ready until they are older. He did fine after he turned 5, except that at 13 he still talks to the movie.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Mine is almost 3 and we haven't gone yet. She is NOT a sitter. She has a very hard time sitting for a single story at storytime at the library. Why on earth would I expect her to sit quietly through a movie, in a new place that she would just be itching to explore? No thanks.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i took my daughter when she was 2 or 3 my only advice is dont go to 1 u dying to see (yes i sometimes cant wait to go see kids movies lol) and be prepared to leave if ur child doesnt like the loud music or any other reason try her out at an afternoon movie that is when the stay at home moms usually go so if she gets upset they will be the most understanding good luck
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 3:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009