Why does my cat and puppy follow me to the bathroom?

They sit there and WATCH every move I make! It's sort of unnerving! What do they want? Is there a reason for this? If I shut them out they whine at the door and are waiting for me to come out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pets

• Here are my theories:

1) You're vulnerable while you're going potty, so as the head of the pack, you need to be protected until you're done. They're standing guard to make sure some evil thing doesn't attack you while your pants are around your ankles.

2) Their ancestors were predators. Predators would know that the smell from their "business" would alert their prey that they are in the area, making them skittish. So predatory animals in the wild cover up or bury their leavings to make it easier to hunt. Your pet is making sure you will or have "covered your tracks" like a good pack leader.

3) Much like children, they believe there is a mysterious portal in the bathroom. This portal, if you are left unwatched, enables you to leave the house undetected by them. This simply cannot be allowed! :P
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• LOL our cat does the same thing. I think she dosent want to be left our on whatever is going on! She whines at the door to come in & then just lays there in the corner waiting to see what I'm doing. If she gets too bored she'll decide to leave.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It is natural for them to follow their leader, and you are that leader. :)

Answer by Bmat at 12:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• One of my dogs follows me everywhere. She's 3 and has been like that since she was a pup. If I shut the bathroom door, she will sniff under it until I come out. The only time she doesn't follow me is when I sneak away while she is asleep - she's deaf, so she doesn't hear me get up. Once she wakes up, though, she goes searching the house until she finds me. Her deafness may be why she follows me all the time since she can't hear where I am. However her breed is known to be velcro dogs, so who knows. Our other dog isn't as bad and she is the same breed.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• LOL.. My two little dogs do the same thing. They will even sit outside the door the whole time if my hsuband or i shut the door. It is the leader thing. Plus, dogs and cats don't understand that there is not another door in the bathroom you're going to slip out of if you go in there!
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• LOL Geminilove. I think you nailed it!
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I Agree!!
    Our dog follows me everywhere too!
    She loves to lie by the tub when I take a bath and I have a bad habit of letting her in the shower with me sometimes- which she LOVES- so I can give her a shower too. I don't really mind anymore, cuse now that we let her sleep with us she is always smelling good!
    Lol, I just bought her a kids robe that I put on her when we get out so she dries off and can't shake water ALL over the bathroom!! She still doesn't like it, but getting better
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 4:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Our cat, Diana, tried to climb in the bath with me while I was pregnant with my daughter. Still trying to figure out why a cat who DISPISED water tried to jump in with me. LOL
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• because they love you hon lol and want to be where you are at all times. Tho I do like the magic portal idea lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• lol i was wondering the same thing with my puppy- hes 3 months old and if i dont put him in the kitchen and close the child gate he will follow me into the bathroom and sniff my feet and the toilet and my undies and everything trying to figure out wut i am doing lol- and i swear this dog has ocd because when i take my clothes off to get in the shower one by one he grabs the clothes that are on the floor and drags them into my room- lmao its too funny
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009