DId anyone hear about when Mr. Obama said that we are stuck in the old ways as of the marriage rule?

My neighbor asked me about it and I told her that I hadn't personally heard anything but then I dont much time to watch the news or anything. Appearantly he said to the gay community or something that we americans are stuck in the old way, and that he was wanting to bring a new law in that even preachers who preach against gays could be prosecuted. I personally think everyone has a right to be happy. Has anyone heard of this or is it just that my neighbor dislikes him so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd be interested in seeing a link - last I heard he'd said he personally wasn't for it; but he wasn't for pushing his personal feelings on others...meaning he really didn't say much that could hurt his polling #'s...

If he said the above it would be a drastic change and I think we'd have heard more about it by now...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm thinking that he didn't say it, because last I knew he believed that marriage was between a man and a woman.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I doubt he said it as he cannot have preachers prosecuted. Actually, no religious organization can be (or should be) forced to marry gay couples/agree with being gay. That is unconstitutional.
    Anonymous

• I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THIS IS TRUE.

Answer by older at 12:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/30/obama-promises-champion-gay-rights/
    Anonymous

• Lol, sounds like someone's pastor was hopped up on too much sunday supper and was speculating on all the evils that could happen if those da*n gays got their way.

One of many reasons I'm still church shopping. Every one I've been to is either "those sinners are going to he**" (never mind the ones in the pews) or fluffy bunnies and rainbows.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Okay, Anon:40, I read the article.

How does "gay rights" translate to Gay marriage? He wants the same federal benefits afforded same sex couples, he said nothing of marriage, and he said nothing of prosecuting preachers for preaching against homosexuality. He also wants crimes against gays to be considered a hate crime, and to repeal don't ask don't tell.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Regardless of this is true or not, I don't see this as being a pressing issue that faces our country. It wastes time and valuable resources. Why can't we each love who we love and just leave it alone and work on the war, health-care, education, economy, foreclosures...........I don't care what goes on in any person's bedroom and they should not care what goes on in mine. End of problem.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=97115
    Anonymous

• Obama believes marriage is only between a man and a woman - just like the majority of politicians. He's not going to commit political suicide by alienating the more than 50% of Democrat voters opposed to gay marriage by changing that stance before his first term is over.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009