What is something me & my husband can do together?

I'm pregnant, and it seems like when he's not working all he does is play world of warcraft on the computer. When I bring it up to him he just says that there isn't anything else to do. We don't have very much money so spending time outside the house is kinda hard these days. No movies, or anything like that.

Ideas please! I really want my husband back. It's like I never see him.

victoria.mommy

Asked by victoria.mommy at 12:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• -free outdoor concerts (check your newspaper for listings)
    -picnics
    -walks
    -camping (even pitching a tent in the back yard)
    -barbecue
    -cook
    -get together with friends for a low-key party
    -go to the library
    -explore a new part of town
    -fishing
    -day hike
    -hang out on the porch/lawn
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• This is what my husband, son(15 months) and I do- We will go for a walk, bike ride(you cant go for a bike ride since your prego though) Go get icecream cones (total about $3.00) Go for a slow ATV ride back in the woods (if available) go fishing, just go sit on the porch swing, you can clean together, do landscaping together, go handwash your vehicles um thats I can think of right now. Just do everyday things together :) Also-- Word of warcraft is very addicting. I would try and pull the plug on that right now or limit his time so thats not his life. I've heard of it ruining marriages, people flunking out of college and thats not what you want!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• What about telling him you want a "date night" or "date day" before the baby comes?

You could always make a picnic and take some chairs to the park in lieu of a blanket if you're having trouble getting up and down already. Or a beach if you live near one.

If you can handle the walking, a lot of museums and art galleries do "art walks" for free one weekend a month. Check online or your local newspaper's "events" section - sometimes they list free or low cost events that you may not know about, like church or street fairs, etc.

You could say you want a quiet dinner in - turn off all the lights and electronics, light some candles, toast each other with sparkling (non-alcoholic) cider.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Go for a walk. Pack up your supper and take it to a park to eat. Look for free outdoor concerts in the parks in your area. We have those every week throughout the summer in our area. If you live in town, drive out to the country and just look at the night sky. The libraries have movies that you can check out. See if they have "Fireproof" and watch it with your hubby. Also, you could check out a book on marriage and read a chapter together every evening. Take turns. You read to him one night and he reads to you the next.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Can you play with him on WOW? I tried it for the first time yesterday. It was alright. I liked the "togetherness" we had on there, our 14 DS was playing too. I am not one for video games, but it wasn't that bad. I do get stuck in spots that I can't "walk" through. LOL Only problem is our DD is a bit too young to play yet and felt a bit left out. She's only 10, and there's a lot of "buttons" in the game.

If not, what are some things you enjoyed together before? Is this temporary due to the pregnancy? Like did you both love sports, etc.? What about other types of games, like cards? Learn to play poker, or whatever, then invite your friends. Depends on what interests you. Take walks, tell him its good for the baby. There are often great things to do that don't cost money. Like going to watch a little league game instead of a pro game. Its good practice for later too.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You can have date night at home. Like another poster said, cook dinner together and then watch a movie. You can check out movies for free from the library. Are there any state forests or parks in your area? You could do short hikes together. Just make sure you drink plenty of water and go in the earlier part of the day when it isn't as hot.

If you and DH are good about keeping spending under control, my husband and I like to go to malls and just walk around and window shop. Or people watch. We'll go to the fancy malls that we don't normally go to.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Oh, and yes, WOW can be addicting. I was worried about it when my DH started playing. My DS plays on my DH's account and there's the ability to set a time limit for him. If your DH is already a gamer, then he probably plays for the same amount of time he played on his PS2/3 or other system. As long as my DH is still going to work, interacting with us, mowing the lawn, etc. I am okay with the time he plays. Other men spend hours fishing, golfing, working on cars, sports, etc. At least he's in the same house I am. Usually I am reading on the front porch. I know, I am addicted to reading, about the same way he's addicted to gaming.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The ideas above are great. I would also add game night. Invite another couple, pop some corn and play games. We love Mexican Train. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 4:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009