Dog question?

Dh and I decided to get a golden retriever puppy but I am concerend about a few things.. first of all would that be a good dog for an 2 year old? And how long does it usually take to potty train a puppy? And what is the best way to go about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pets

• Goldens have great personalities and are the number one dog in the US for many reasons. Depending on the puppy and you will dictate how long potty training will take. I recommend crate training.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have two dogs that I've as puppies. Puppies take a lot of work to properly train. I personally won't have another puppy until our baby is around 4 or 5. How long it takes to potty train is really dependent on your dedication to it. One of mine took about three weeks. The other took closer to two months, although she never pooped in the house. She took longer because she seemed to have a UTI so she was going ALOT. She was on meds for something else so the vet wanted to wait on giving her anymore and the UTI went away on it's own. If you have your heart set on getting a puppy right now, I would recommend checking out or buying a book on puppies and taking a puppy obedience course. There isn't enough room here to go into potty training but here is a link from a Whippet message board with a lot of good tips.

http://www.whippetworld.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=215
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• they have a lot of energy so you have to have the time to walk it daily and would probably knock your child down by bouncing all over. they have soft mouths but believe it or not they have been climbling the chart for bites. so i heard on dogs 101 not to long ago. i was really shocked. we found one and we couldn't stand how she was so energitic and would not calm down for nothing. my husband ended up letting it go. i felt bad later when i saw the sign of a lost golden. i personally after coming across that puppy would never get one.i was close to pulling my hair out. i had a yellow lab trained in just a couple days but i didn't sleep and watched it like a hawk. some breeds are quicker cause they are smarter and some are not so bright. the more consistant you are the quicker they learn. like i said was super consistant with my lab every whine and sniff i put him out and worked like a charm.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Please DO NOT BUY your dog from a mall pet store. They are from puppy mills and we all know how horrible they are. If you are looking for a super dog for your children, why not try adopting a golden? You can get one that 's just a couple of years old, they've teethed and lost those annoyingly sharp puppy teeth, are most likely housebroken and will still be a young, loving dog for your family. ASPCA shelters, humane societies and the Golden Retriever Rescue organizations can find you a perfect match.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 1:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't know anything breed specific but we have had puppies ~ on house training our pit puppies have been by far the easiest. I am talking one accident easy. The pits are the hubby's, I have malamutes, they are the worst at house training, it took months to train our last puppy. I think alot of it is how discplined you are - you have to watch the puppy every minute and watch for the cues. If they have accidents clean them up really good so the smell is gone, but each accident enforces in there minds that it's ok. I would suggest keeping your pup on a leash and the leash hooked to you so you can avoid as many accidents as possible. Oh and crate training is highly suggested. We have always had mulitple dogs and multiple kids so we never based anything on the number of children we have, rather the time we have to properly train them. Good Luck (sorry so long)
    Anonymous

• they say golden retrievers are the best family dog because they have a lot of energy to play and are great with kids...just like any dog though you have to take them for daily walks or they will start to misbehave out of boredom and curiosity.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 2:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• personally, I'd go to the pound and get a 2 year old dog. They tend to be already trained, very loving since you did "save them". Puppies are a real handfull espically on top of having kids. It's like having a baby all over again. Goldens are good so are labs. Anything mixed with those will probably be good too.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't adopt a dog since you have a 2 year old. You never know what kind of background they have or if they were abused. For your toddler's safety, I would get a puppy so they can grow up together and be used to each other. A grown dog might be scary and overwhelming for a little kid too.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 6:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Make sure you have a crate ready for him...put a towel in it with your child's sent on it...I had two lad's with little ones in the past...I had no problem===dog's like their crate's as well...I always start them off in one--put the crate where the dog can see you for the first few night's---you can slowly move the crate away from your room as the dog get's adjusted---you don't want the dog to cry all night in the crate--I knew someone who got a puppy, put the puppy in their bathroom for the night, the puppy cried most of the night, they found the pup dead in the morning, he had a heartattack...they where very so upset over this, they just did not know better..
    S.Eckard

Answer by S.Eckard at 8:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• adopting a dog with a two year old - no way
    S.Eckard

Answer by S.Eckard at 8:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009