Anyone on Social Security Disability?

A few years ago, I was in an accident and became partially paralyzed. I've been denied disability because of my AGE. Yes, that it what the case worker told me after "fighting" my claim. They have "doctors" on staff who "read" the medical evidence to make a judgment on my condition. After appealing my case, It turns out that they do not even my my last surgery on file, yet still made their decision because of my AGE!!! (apparently, if you are under 54, it is tough luck!!!)

So, has anyone been through this process? Did you hire a lawyer? I cannot afford one, but am getting doors closed in my face by the government. Medical bills piling up, and I can't claim my disability! Any suggestions????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Health

• Okay, let me tell you right now, you WILL be denied your first time around. No one gets it on the first shot because they DON'T want to pay you. They WANT you to give up.

DON'T GIVE UP!!! File an appeal. They cannot discount your disability because of your age- if they did, my husband would be screwed considering he is only 25 (he was struck by lightning while in Iraq, and suffered a traumatic brain injury, which has caused all kinds of problems). We're on our first appeal right now, and are willing to fight it all the way down. We luckily have an advocate that is helping us with all the paperwork and getting everything worded correctly.

Try and look up free legal aid in your area. There is always legal aid around somewhere near by. Just don't give up on it, don't give in. Just persist and you'll get it. Appeal your case as soon as you can!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009