Anyone on Social Security Disability?

A few years ago, I was in an accident and became partially paralyzed. I've been denied disability because of my AGE. Yes, that it what the case worker told me after "fighting" my claim. They have "doctors" on staff who "read" the medical evidence to make a judgment on my condition. After appealing my case, It turns out that they do not even my my last surgery on file, yet still made their decision because of my AGE!!! (apparently, if you are under 54, it is tough luck!!!)

So, has anyone been through this process? Did you hire a lawyer? I cannot afford one, but am getting doors closed in my face by the government. Medical bills piling up, and I can't claim my disability! Any suggestions????

p.s. Also, posted this in "Health", but didn't know if "Politics" fit this bill too???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am not on disablity but I know plenty who are and plenty who are fighting for it. I know many people who NEED it for health reason and they battle for 2-3 yrs for it. You have to have a lawyer who knows how to take on the system. On the other hand I know people who got it in a month with no court dates no appeals. They messed them selves up with meth. How Ironic is that. Go do some meth and fry your brain and you will get it easy.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My mom just was approved for disablilty after a 4 yr long fight.. after she was denied, she called one of those attorneys and they appealed her case and when she finally won, they took no more than 5 grand out of her "winnings"... and if she woulda lost there would have been no charge...

there are always commercials on tv for these attorneys, just sit and watch FOX tv during the day when the court tv is on, there are bound to be at least 3 commercials for a company that way :)

hope that helps :D

PS just make sure that if u do it thru a company, that there are no initializations costs... that usually means something bogus is up...
    bananaapplepie

Answer by bananaapplepie at 1:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If you look you will find a lawyer that will take it on contigency. Alot of them do. Contact one who specializes in disability cases.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yes I have. I filed in 2005 and had to go through the process after hiring an attorney, finally I got my disability in 2008. Incidentally, the Social Security law mandates that an attorney can only charge a specific percentage of whatever your back pay is once you are approved for disability--I think it is 5%. You need to find an attorney who specializes in Social Security disability law. I was only 45 when I filed in 2005. As far as your medical records are concerned, this is one reason why you need an attorney because he or she will send in the documents necessary to advise the SS claim rep that more records need to be obtained. SS doesn't just do that on their own. Even if you don't have an attorney, it is up to you to contact the SS rep and advise that you had surgery or were in the hospital.
    Anonymous

• You might now have enough work credits for social security disablilty in which case you need to apply for SSI. But I would get a social security lawyer. Most don't get paid until you get paid a back pay and then they only take a percent. I think its 30%, but not sure.
    I don't understand the age, because there is children receiving disability benifits.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 1:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Social Security Disability and SSI are two different things. SSDI is for people who worked and earned enough credits over their working life and SSI is for people who never worked or for people who did work who get SSDI, but it is such a low amount that they also qualify for SSI, which is Supplemental Security Income.
    Anonymous

• The reason why age is important to a determination approving SSDI is because not only do they look at your medical records, but taking into consideration your age and your limitations, they determine whether there is ANYTHING else you can do, that you have skills for, other than the job you were doing. This is why it is so difficult to get SSDI. Because if you have a disability, but you can still perform gainful employment of some kind, even if you would never earn what you currently earn or did earn before you couldn't work, you are out of luck. Their vocational people will say you can work as a greeter or a telephone customer service person, say if you worked as a construction worker. It is even harder if you are under 50 years of age and have any kind of vocational or college education--or even years of experience in a specific employment area, like something using computers.
    Anonymous

• It took 5 yrs before I got it due to my age.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, very political . SS is a wonderful government program and expecting anything is just wishful thinking. You do need a lawyer, I'd start calling every lawyer in the phone book till you find one to take your case. Was the accident your fault? If not I hope you sued for that too. Most persoanal injury lawyers do or know another lawyer who will take your case on contingency. I know a couple of people who have tried 2 and 3 times before getting what they are due.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• WOW - thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be getting a lawyer.

Funny thing happened today as I posted this. Got another denied letter for my appeal --- WITH SOMEONE ELSE'S name, problems/symptoms AND SS#!!!! I tried calling to get the paperwork straightened out for the sake of this other woman, and got the run around. Over an hour on the phone - to clarify for someone else's behalf!!!! ugh. government run "healthcare". nobody gives a damn.
    Anonymous