First Dates

I am a single mom and have not been out on a date in a very long time. I am going out tomarrow and have no clue if it is a date or not. He asked me to come hang out and watch a movie, and said he would order pizza. Is this considered a date now days? Is a girl easy if she kisses on the first date? What about a little making out but nothing to heavy? What are some of the basic rules now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Why care what the "rules are now"

If I was you I would stick with what I believe it, not follow everyone else...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would just ask him.

Answer by louise2 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If I were in your shoes, I would go into this situation being very wise and very aware. I would be a little concerned that the "first date" was an invitation to his pad where I assume nobody else will be around. I would want to make absolutely certain that he was interested in me for who I am as a person, my talents, abilities and character, and that he was not interested in a little physical activity. I would go there with my mind made up that this was going to be pizza and conversation and absolutely nothing more. If I became aware that he had any other intentions other than those, I would tell him I really need to be going. I would also make sure that someone else knows where I am and who I am going to be with. I don't know what his intentions are, but I would assume the worst until I was convinced otherwise. You certainly don't want to be gullible and set yourself up as an easy target.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Do you know this guy well enough to go to his house for a first date? Usually hanging out at the guy's house is saved for weeks (or months) later, after we've had several dates. Who cares about the rules.... safety first.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 1:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• eek! I bet you are excited and nervous! If you feel that it is a date,then its a date. As far as kissing/making out or whatever...I guess it depends on how well and how long you've known the guy.Like..is he someone you've known for 2 years and he's just now getting around to asking you over or did you recently meet him?From my own personal experience(I used to be a single mom once upon a time too)...I held off giving anything more than a hug or peck on the cheek goodnight on the first date.There were times when I just felt like jumping someones bones though,lol.Just have to practice good control.I think when you're a single mom, dates are like weeding men out...and can't go kissin em' all,lol.And kissing on the 1st date doesn't make you easy, do what feels right to you at the moment.Good Luck, try to relax and have fun!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Keep in mind I am 23 and married but I do have good insight. Also my dad recently reconnected with an old collage g/f and he said this was good advise when I told this to him.
    There aren't any clear rules nowadays. Definitions for terms like "dating" differ from person to person. I think a relationship is defined by what you to mutally agree it to be. It's not measured by what you do, it's more about where you two are in the relationship.
    Right now you are just hanging out with the guy. Pizza and a movie is just havin fun. But if you guys talk a lot and find yourself getting more and more connected/closer AND your exclusive - meaning your not hanging out with anyone else often - then maybe you could call it dating. I wouldn't kiss him until this step, or sometimes a kiss causes this step.
    Feel free to message me if you want.
    kira_5105

Answer by kira_5105 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• People may say there are no "rules" for dating. But I'll tell you one thing - the slower you take things as far as the physical side of the relationship, the better chance you have of a successful long term relationship. That is if you are interested in a long term relationship. If he is someone you don't know if he is someone for the long haul - all the better reason to take things slow or not at all. I have a friend who is beautiful, charming, intelligent - but she will have sex on the first or second date. She has all these guys flocking around her but they end up just wanting booty calls with her and things fizzle out. I tell her she should slow down. But she says she needs the physical. Then she just doesn't understand why things don't work out.

A guy should earn your love and affection.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It has just been so long I would love to be able to cuddle when watching the movie and sneak a kiss or two, but I I just don't want to seem too eager. I have only known him a couple of months, and we have not hung out much. He is pretty great though. It is just wierd to get back to dating. I almost hope it is not a date because than there is no pressure.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a date to me!! Good for you!
    IheartWyatt09

Answer by IheartWyatt09 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009