• In the Spotlight:

How do other moms with babys & a 2 year old have time for both children?

I never feel like I spend enough time with my 2 yr old because I'm always spending time with my 4 month old. Any other mothers feel like they're neglecting they're toddler while taking care of they're infant? Am I a bad mom ? My boyfriend tells me to stop being so hard on myself. I just feel like I can't do it all sometimes.... Anyone else go through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your boyfriend is right, don't beat yourself up over it. You are only one person. I have a 6 week old and a 4 year old. So I've started setting aside time for me and the 4 year old so we can do something without the baby interferring. Usually that happens when my SO is home so that he can tend to the baby while I spend quality time with the other. Sometimes, something as simple as reading a book at bedtime is good enough for them.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Really its not hard! You just have to make sure that you involve your 2 year old with the baby and when the baby is asleep than have your one on one time with your 2 year old. If you have to get things done around the house than let the 2 year old help do little things so they don't feel so left out! My DD was very jealous of her baby sister when she first came home but after about a week she was fine with her and that was her baby!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• NO, YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM. In time you will get use to having a toddler and a newborn. Newborns demand a lot of attention, which makes you feel like your not paying enough to your toddler. Maybe you can set up a time for you to read to both of them, or maybe while your 4 month old is in her baby gym, you can play with your 2 year old right beside each other. Even when your newborn takes a nap.
    Anonymous

• No its a nabrunal thing . The rick is to involve the 2 yrs old and rem. babies take lots of little naps a great moment to spend some one-on-one time. My (then 18 month old) would help by throwing away diapers, bringing diapers, help sis fall asleep by waling back and forth with me and singing with me, we'd read.
    NO you will not have the same amound of time as b/f and yes it sucks but there are also the advantages that they get the chance to be a big bro. and learn how to be nurturing and responsible and later on teach their lil sis/bro.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have four and I have to realize and so do you, that different ages require different levels and different types of attention. Two year old are becoming pretty independent, especially if not deprived of the in-arms phase, and really are fine to play alone and check in every few minutes with you for reassurance and a cuddle!
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 2:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2009