how to clean the inside of your dishwasher?

i want to clean the inside of my dishwasher without buying a commercial cleaner. is there a "homemade" recipe i can use?

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 1:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I always use a cap full of regular Dawn dish soap and a cap full of bleach. Run the load with nothing in it, and that should clean it well! Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• According to my book~ Dishwasher Repair Cheap & Easy:

For hard water build-up put about 1/4-1/2 cup of Lime-Away or Citric Acid (usually available at drugstores) in the machine and run it through a wahs cycle, with or without dishes. Repeat as often as necessary.
    In extreme cases of hard water build-up, run 1/2 cup of white vinegar through a single rinse-and-drain cycle, without any dishes in the machine. (I would do this before putting Lime-Away in my machine!)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I throw in about a cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup each of baking soda and salt

Answer by rkoloms at 1:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my neighbor told me to use 5 packs of sugar free lemonade kool aid. it really seemed to work. then use the hyvee brand lemon detergent, cuz it has the highest acid in it so it doesnt leave the film on everything. we have really bad water here. and hyvee is our grocery store here in iowa...like iga and all that stuff
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009