exactly...what...is...discharge?

I'm 28 years old and I didnt know how to answer SO when he asked what discharge was LOL. all I said was "it's normal..." so....what is it exactly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Health

• It's mucus. Your vaginal cavity is made up of mucus membranes. The discharge is the mucus that is helping keep anything bad from sticking- kind of like your snot pushes out all the dirt and ick from inside your nose. It doesn't take much to upset the pH in your vagina, so it is constantly cleansing itself by making more mucus to keep everything clean and in tip top shape.
    Anonymous

• Not all discharge is normal, so it depends on the color, odor etc. to say if its normal or not. Every month just before you ovulate a thin, slick, clear discharge happens, thats normal. Sometimes you might have a whitish discharge and that too can be normal, but any thing that had a foul odor, or looks like cottage cheese is not normal. You should know your body and the discharge you normally have, if it is different than that, it should be checked out. Hope this helps.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009