~How did you get your infant to drink water?~

Help! I need some suggestions! My little girl Syriah, who is almost 4 months old, DETESTS drinking water, but she gets sooo constipated! Me and hubby have tried everything, from holding off her milk for about an hour to mixing it with apple juice but she literally throws tantrums and refuses to drink it. She's smart, so I try to fool her into drinking it but within 5 seconds she's wailing and flailing all over the place, being stubborn. The only way she'll actually guzzle it down is when she's just come in from outside and she's so freakin hot she has no choice. But do I really have to bring her outside every day and literally let her sweat before she drinks it? All I want is for her to drink at least 4 ounces a day so she can stop making these little poopy balls in her diaper! If I spoil Syriah with apple juice all the time for constipation, she'll never learn to drink the water! Any suggestions? Help!!!

bluegirlmommy

Asked by bluegirlmommy at 1:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Jameson has the same pooping issues!! Doctor said to put 1 tbs of light karo syrup in his water. It actually works!! So much better and easier than suppositories. The baby loves the sweetness and thinks he is getting a treat. I did try juice as well, but it didn't do the job. I usually give him 6 oz of cool water.
    LUVWJ

Answer by LUVWJ at 2:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Add a little pinch of sugar.
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 1:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I put a little sugar in the water..Or a little juice.

Answer by louise2 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I had to sprinkle mine with a little bit of formula at first to give her that taste...I don't know if your breastfeeding though
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Lauren24, no, I'm not breastfeeding. This formula clogs her up a lot!
    bluegirlmommy

Answer by bluegirlmommy at 1:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Babies are not suppose to drink alot of water due to that formula has a all of the vitamins that a baby needs because the baby dose not eat food and there is water in the formula already! You will not spoil her with apple juice she is only 4mo old! There are suppositories for babies I don't remember the name but it starts with a G! You can find it at Walmart ( ask the pharmacist he will know what it is)! I would not let my baby sweat from this hot weather it is not good for a 4mo old to get that hot! If she keeps having problems than call the doc she might have to switch formula or have other ideas! O and I would not hold her off the milk due to that is lack of vitamin's that she needs! I have had 4 kids and have experienced this alot! Good luck hon!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yeah, I already have those things, they're called glycerin suppositories. I used them and they help but it doesn't soften the next stools she has, it's only for the moment. She keep having hard, painful-to-pass stools. I don't like holding off her milk, but it's the only way she'll even think about drinking water!
    bluegirlmommy

Answer by bluegirlmommy at 1:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My doctor advised me to use Karo syrup as well. I put it right in baby's bottle.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Thanks, guys. I have karo syrup but I haven't been using it all that much. LUVWJ, I will try the 1 tbs in her water. Thanks! =)
    bluegirlmommy

Answer by bluegirlmommy at 2:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It could be the formula....What kind do you use? I switched formula three different times until I found the one that did well with her. When I use Gentlease she would cry bc she was so clogged up so I switched to Good Start. Apple juice never did much for her but finding the right formula did.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2009