First words

When did your baby say their first words and what were they? My son started saying mama is 6 months. He's 15 months now and says, mama,dada,no,stop, hot,sara,hi, and bye!

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 1:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow, your lucky. And keep up the good work!
    My daughter started saying mom and dad at a year and a half. My son turned 2 last Friday but has no words. I've heard from a lot of moms on here that their boys didn't say a word until they were 2 and then they just started saying sentances. My 6 month old is babbling "da", "ga", "ya" and playing with her voice a lot though.
    kira_5105

Answer by kira_5105 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• At 6 months my son said Kitty. Now at 10 months he says dada, kitty, and what sounds like dog. I'm still waiting for that mama! =)
    Anonymous

• My oldest said his first word at 13 months and was holding conversations at 18 months. (no kidding)

My second said his first word at 15 months and was using short sentences at 2 years.

My third said his first word at 23 months after a month of speech therapy and is now fairly conversational (2 1/2) but is difficult to understand by most others.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The majority of children do NOT say their first real word until right before their first birthday and talk in sentences around 18 months. At 6 months, what babies are saying are vowel and consonant sounds that really aren't words. To increase vocabulary in kids, read aloud to them daily from birth, talk in conversations with them, repeat what they say (sounds and words) being sure to pronounce the words correctly. My son was about a year old when he started talking and was talking in full sentences shorty after that. My niece didn't say a word until after she was 2 and she was nonstop aftet that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My dd said her first word at 3 months exactally and it was NanNan no lie I was so pissed I was hoping it was momma
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• NanNan is what my neice calls my mom instead of Grandma
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009