I was fired, can I sue?

The book store I have been working for for years, was recently bought out by "Christian Family Bookstores" and I was fired because I'm "not the type they want there." I'm Pagan, and when the new owner saw my pentagram necklace he fired me on the spot. But never used the words, because you're pagan, he just made the reason very clear... Can I sue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• Why would you want to work for a Christian bookstore if you're Pagan, anyway?

But I think if you can prove he fired you because of your religion, you may have a case. The key word here is "prove".
    Anonymous

• I think when a new business takes over they can clear house and fire. Let's say he did fire you because you are pagan. I think you definately would be bad for business working there. Maybe you should have just been asked to remove your necklace and cover any tattoos you maybe have been showing.
    Anonymous

• I think the owner may have acted rather harshly.But I am sure you can imagine his stance...Christian bookstore...Pagan worker...lol. It was wrong though.He could have offered you an option of a dress code where you would not be allowed to wear things like a pentagram necklace and then you could have chose to quit if you didn't agree.Thats a tough situation. I would be upset if I were fired for that reason as well.I'm sure some lawyer out there would take your case,gathering that this is based on a predjudice.Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You may have a case for discrimination. www.eeoc.gov
    I worked for a Jewish bookstore that had employees who were not Jewish.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think that you need to speak with an attorney asap, look for one that makes a free consultation so that it won't cost you to gather info from a reliable source. It sounds to me as if you do have a case as long as you can prove that was the reason behind it but I think that the new owner would come up with a bunch of other reasons to justify his actions like economical, new management, swho knows? Only an attorney can tell you for sure.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• How about calling the man and ask, "If I remove my necklace and keep my own personal religeous beliefs to myself, as I have as a respectable employee for ____ years would you consider hiring me back? As I appreciated my position with the previous company."

If he says something that NO it does not matter, I've made my decision, then I would at the least consult with an attorney which offers free consulations and explain.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• First off if you are fired unfairly then you can collect unemployment, and second yes I'm pretty sure you can sue. Talk to a lawyer, thats B.S. I'm pretty sure that religious discrimination is illegal.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You might have a case. First, apply for unemployment, then call the EEOC in your state and see what they can do to help you out. You may also want to contact an attorney. You may have a case of religious discrimination, it may be hard to prove but it is possible.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I am not sure if you can sue or not but I am looking for people interested in working from home if you are interested e mail me at nakoal87@aol.com or go to www.workathomeunited.com/heathers for my contact information.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I am sure you can sue them and you might win. If you do I am assuming it is a money grab know this you won't see much and if you lose they could sue you for costs they accumulated in defending themselves. I would speak with an attorney if you really feel wronged. You have no clue why you were fired they could have been coming over to fire you before he saw your necklace. You could be a troll just trying to make Christians look bad. Funny world we do live in .
    Anonymous