Should I be concerned when my 5 year old mouths the sentence to himself that he just spoke outloud?

ladeebugg

Asked by ladeebugg at 12:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just bring it up to the doc at the next check up, but no, i wouldn't worry about it.
    SamsMom125

Answer by SamsMom125 at 2:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i wouldn't worry, he is probably just reassuring himself that what he said makes sense . . . kids can get social anxiety too, about getting the meaning of what they say across, but I would see if it got worse, maybe early marker for some OCD? I would mention it to Dr. too.
    thegoddessofwit

Answer by thegoddessofwit at 2:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My almost 6 year old son does that also. he also mouths sentences I have said. He's pretty bright (aspergers) and I just took it as him memorizing words and sentence structure. He's now doing this with books. It's like he's practicing it before he reads it aloud. He does have high social anxiety so I never really thought about it possibly being associated with that. I just figured it's another phase he goes through.
    bookrdr

Answer by bookrdr at 11:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• You can talk to your pediatrician if you need reassurance, but it is truly nothing to be concerned about. It is rather common.
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 8:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• not at all. I did it and stopped when I saw my brother doing it, he did it forever. I don't see him doing it now, he's 37.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 1:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Totally common. It's part of exploring language.
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 5:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My sister did it too, sometimes it is an issue... in her case it wasn't. Her doc said it was very common among young children.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2008