TMI..sorry has anyone in their first trimester have constipation? and if so how long does it last?

loventhem22

Asked by loventhem22 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Health

• Oh sweetheart. That is one of the things you never hear about pregnancy! LOL!!! I had it with both my kids and I was miserable! Don't wait too long to take something either. The longer you wait, the worse it is. I drank prune juice (blech!) and eventually had to take a stool softener. Careful with laxatives though. Dont' use them unless the dr says it's ok. I had one incident of major constipation around week 9 or so with both my kids. Worst. Week. Ever.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Ya I think everyone has this problem at least once during their pregnancy. Try cereal with heavy fiber, and prune juice or prunes. You can also take some Colace stool softener. Beware of laxatives though bc they cause your muscles to contract and can cause a miscarriage. Take something for it before it gets too bad bc if it gets too bad the doc will have to administer an enema and those are no fun!!! Good luck hon!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• yeah, and i still have it and im 28 weeks prego, but its very common, annoying but common
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Stay away from meat, dairy and bananas; they are all constipating. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables in a rainbow of colors7-8 servings a day, whole grains (don't eat white bread, white rice or white pasta), and legumes. And drink lots of water 8-10 8oz glasses a day

Answer by rkoloms at 12:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009