Why are we so defensive?

One thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of us becoming overly defensive over our religion. Atheists assuming that all Christian posts are trying to convert them, Christians assuming that all Atheists and Pagans are putting them down or making fun of them, and even some Pagans getting offended by Christian posts. Why are we all getting so defensive all of a sudden? Did something happen that I missed these past couple of weeks? Or am I just now noticing this . . . ?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I haven't been able to be on much for the last few days. I feel like I missed alot of the posts : (

I don't know. Sometimes I do notice that things get more tense and sometimes things are more pleasant.

I know I feel more crabby when I am pms-ing (It is not an excuse though). But maybe it is just our natural cycles : )

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It doesn't help when a Christian posts something and a rude non-believer jumps in to stir up trouble or mock them. Same applies to when questions of other religions are posted and Christians jump in to tell them they're going to hell. Those people aren't achieving anything. It just makes them and their religion look bad :(

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• troll cycle - the trolls get bored they start stalking people and making everyone look bad. They see something shiny and get distracted, things calm down. A few days later they get bored again, the anonostalking starts again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• They see something shiny and get distracted
    ******

LMAO!! NotPanicking, that was priceless!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It reinforces our beliefs when others agree with us and challenges our beliefs when others don't agree with us. Those who truly believe strongly in whatever it is they choose to believe, probably won't feel the need to be defensive.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't really see anyone being more defensive than usual but I usually just pass over the ones that have a little more bite.
    Anonymous

• i think sometimes we (all of us) read someones response & see it as an attack, when all it was is a person's opinion. then we react defensively by calling the other person "intolerant". then the other person feels they are being attacked so they fire back & it just turns into an ugly mess w/ both parties looking bad.

i have to admit, when i see some anon say "the Bible isnt real" when a sincere Christian question is asked, i get angry. it also pisses me off to see a sincere Atheist or Pagan question get bogged down by "your going to hell" and "its not real".

i think we'd all be happier if we stayed outta other religions posts unless we can speak our opinion w/o condemning or hating-on that religion. we are adults, why dont we act like it?! i think our children would be ashamed if they saw the way we talked to eachother sometimes. also, it would help if we all ignored the obvious trolls & snarky anons.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I fully agree ReneeK3. Honestly I can't say the troll staking or rude comments come more from group or the other. Every single group has rude and over bearing posters.
    Anonymous

• people get devensive because if someone challenges their belief, it's almost like they are trying to say they are wrong. No one wants to be told that what they believe in is wrong.
    Anonymous

• No one wants to accept the possibility that they may be wrong about one of the most important desicions they have to make during their lifetime.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 3:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009