is forgiveness absolute

so you can be forgiven for all that you do.....

so if a man spent his life raping women, murdering them, torturing children and raping them...but the day before he is executed in prison, he asks for forgiveness........

do you believe he will be forgiven just for asking OR do you believe he has to truly regret the pain he inflicted to be forgiven....do you even think he deserves forgiveness?

example..i watched a show on serial killers, one man liked to hurt little boys. the last boy he hurt, he hung him with hooks in his closet, the poor boy was only 4. and now....he ays he believes in god. i dont think that man deserves anything, i think he deserves the worst possible punishment here and in the afterlife......but i do realize that is not my decision to make.

how d you feel about this?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Only God knows our hearts better then we do ourselves and it's not up to others to judge,
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I believe in absolute forgiveness for all people. I believe God's love is stronger than any sin/wrong, and that He judges differently than we do.
    I also believe that salvation is inevitable for all people.
    But that takes a lot to explain, so I'll stop there, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• In order to be truly forgiven you have to not only ask for the forgiveness, but you have to be truly sorry in your heart for what you've done. I think this is true not only in some religions, but also in life (well, for ME to forgive someone in life, anyway, LOL)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I like what bandgeek said - this applies to my faith as well, but I didn't want to get into it here, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The Bible says that if we put our faith in God, confess our sins and ask for forgiveness, and repent we will be born again. When you are born again, God will continue to forgive your sins as you continue to confess and repent.

God is just. Everything he does is right. If someone really in his heart asked God to forgive him and meant it, then God will forgive Him. BECAUSE it is the blood of Jesus that paid for it. It can cover any and all sins. Jesus took that guys punishment on Himself. It is done.

But if the guy didn't really care, the Lord would know that too. He sees into all our our hearts and He is the judge.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't believe in god and I don't believe in forgiveness for a man who hangs a 4 yr. old on hooks in a closet. I see no reason that anyone would forgive someone who tortures a child, not even god if there was one.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I believe God can and will forgive anyone as long as they have truly seen what they did was wrong, repent, ask for forgiveness and salvation. Even something as sick and wrong as killing children.

Now me......sadly, i dont think i could forgive someone like that. And as much as i'd like to see someone like that tortured to see the damage they did to others, it is God's place to judge, not mine.
    Anonymous

• God knows the heart. If this person has truly repented the he is just as worthy as any who have lived for Him in their lifetime.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I believe the repentance process is just that - a process - to get a real change of heart to occur.
    I don't think a shallow lip service only apology quite cuts it. The steps to repentance as I believe it are:

1) Recognize you did something wrong.
    2) Feel sorry (not just sorry you got caught, but a spiritual sorrow for offending God)
    3) Ask God for forgiveness and any person you might have hurt.
    4) Try to fix what you did if it's possible (i.e. return something stolen)
    5) Don't do it again.

I believe it's God's mercy that gives us that change of heart when we take the time and effort to repent. We could not realize that change on our own.

now to be honest, I don't know what the deal is for murderers. I know in the Bible there's the example of King David who indirectly killed Uriah, and he talked about repenting and feeling that he would get some portion of salvation...it may not be all of God's glory, but it'
    Anonymous

• ...but it's something.
    Anonymous