Do you stay quiet, or do you speak up?

Do you choose to remain quiet, or do you stand up for someone when you see them being mistreated because of their age, the color of their skin, or the amount of money they have?

I have decided NOT to stay quiet anymore. I am going to defend people when they need it.

What do you do and why?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i only stand up for people in know personally (normally) i have stood up for a random stranger though.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i gracefully stand up for them. No reason to be harsh about it. You have to do it wisely, & choose your words well before you speak up.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would love to say that I stand up for people, but sadly I am a total pacifist and can't even stand up for myself most days. If I am truly passionate about something, though, I do become an advocate for it, and I encourage others to stand up for themselves when it is warranted.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I always stand up.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think that is great. The Bible says that "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin." James 4:17

I learned that watching the Veggie Tales "Big River" (based on Mark Twain's, Huck Finn). The story is about helping other people, even when you don't HAVE to. Showing compassion. Caring about others. Huckleberry Larry and Bob the TOMato help Jim escape from the people trying to enslave him-- even though they have other things in their own life to worry about.

A key line is "Sometimes not helping someone, is the same as hurting them."

Anyways, good job : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I guess I should explain why I will not stay quiet anymore...

1st-- It bother's me too much. I come home and all day long I will stay thinking about what happened. I will keep telling myself "why didn't you help them?", "you could have done something", etc.

2nd-- I truly believe that what go's around, come's around.

3rd-- You never know when it is going to be someone you love that is being mistreated, wouldn't you like for someone to help them? It might even be you someday (hey, we are all getting older, we might be that little old lady that someone is rushing)
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I was an advocate for people with special needs for many years, but other than that , I pretty much mind my own business. Since we moved to Fl. where people carry guns everywhwere, I'm not gonna risk it. Obviously if someone was being attacked or something, I would call 911.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i stand up
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 2:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I stood up for others quite a few times in highschool. Once a boy who was trying to date me put down an "unpopular" girl in front of me and I set him straight.

She was very thankful, and was one of the sweetest girls I have ever known..
    Anonymous

• I stand up because as a survivor of abuse I know first hand what jst one person looking the other way can do.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2009